Author Topic: banana musa bajoo  (Read 1391 times)

viv

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
banana musa bajoo
« on: August 28, 2006, 15:34:57 »
Hi all

I have a young banana which has done well in the garden this summer -  but I have lost them in pots during the winter before when I have kept them in.  Any advice on looking after this during the winter would be much appreciated - should I pot it and risk damaging the root ball or fleece it? if I bring it in what should I do with it, ditto if I leave it out?

Thanks in advance

viv

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: banana musa bajoo
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 21:38:28 »
Can't understand why you lost them indoors over winter unless you watered them too much and they rotted, :-\  you can remove from pots if preferred and wrap them up in an old blanket or Hessian, covering root ball and stem and store them in a shed or garage. :)

If outdoors in the ground you could make something like this…out of plastic netting and fleece. :)

It should then withstand weather like this…notice the white stumps in the bed. 8)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 23:47:22 »
I wrapped mine in a net tube then stuffed it with straw - survived last winter with leaves intact so is now even bigger!  ;D

viv

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 18:16:19 »
I suspect I watered them too much - presumably they do not want to be kept moist during the winter?

Renton

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 10:35:34 »
we wrap ours in bubble wrap and garden fleece.....the Basjoo came back in fine form but the Lasciocarpa took a little longer to get going.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 20:57:28 »
Did you mean garden fleece and bubble wrap? as the other way round tends to make the pseudostem sweat and rot. :o ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal