Author Topic: Pruning tools  (Read 1935 times)

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
Pruning tools
« on: August 28, 2006, 21:39:41 »
I really must prune my fruit trees and soft fruit but haven't got any suitable tools.
Would appreciate some advice on what others use and suppliers
...thanks

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Pruning tools
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 22:21:41 »
Mostly a pair of horrible secateurs that badly need replacing with something decent. Loppers for anything too thick for them.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 22:28:23 »
And a (rusty ;) ) saw.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 09:20:31 »
Shopping for loppers and rusty saws today!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 13:02:14 »
Hope this isn't too late, in my opinion Bahco tools are very good, and I'd recommend them.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 13:07:20 »
Bahco includes the Sandvik name, and I agree, they are excellent tools, respected by professionals (which includes me in a previous life).
The impossible is just a journey away ...

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 13:29:32 »
Thanks will have a look for these.  Am really fond of my trees and want to do a good job

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 17:26:57 »
They are very expensive - I manage with cheap secateurs and loppers and a rather handy saw that I recently bought from Netto.  They do a good job.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 18:05:27 »
There is some age old advice that suggests you buy the best you can afford ... the range of tools available is vast, to suit all pockets. At the quality end, you have professional standard tools like the Bahco range just mentioned (Felco are a serious competitor, but I won't be drawn on comparisons). Then you have general DIY quality tools which you are likely to find at your garden centre (possibly overpriced) and finally your premium range, at low cost outlets such as the discount stores and places like Poundland. Professional standard tools are a delight to use, they are designed for the demands of diligent craftsmenpersons, and are likely to embody subtle features to aid enhanced use. An example is the Bahco secateurs, which come as standard with a range of springs, selectable according to your usage. The other feature you will get with the professional standard is quality materials, the steels used for the cutting edges will be first class, and hold sharp edges for extended periods of time.
The DIY standard, mostly bought from outlets such as B&Q, are suitable for most 'amateur' gardener's requirements, and possibly represent the best compromise of quality and cost.
The third category is the premium range, which requires caution, as the quality can be dubious, and can result in unpleasant accidents.

I own tools in all three ranges, but I consider I am able to use the tools within their limitations, and I always garden with adequate PPE (personal protective equipment - safety glasses and boots). The last grouping is reserved to a couple of pairs of cheap secateurs to be left lying around (Poundland - used purely for rough jobs, hedging etc) and kneepads, which actually work well (sorry Alishka ... ).

What you should be aware of though, it is possible to do a bad job with good tools, or a good job with bad tools, but the latter is far more difficult, sometimes impossible.

I hope this has helped, rather than hindered or confused you.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 19:27:23 »
Thanks for your thoughts.  Have just read them after my first attempt at some pruning.  It looks so simple in the pictures but is really tricky.

There wasn't a lot to choose from  (none of the suggested species)  but have settled on a pair of Wilkinson gear action loppers.  They do a brilliant job.  The Secateurs (B&Q own) are not good and are going back.  I will look further afield for something better.

Having got an eyeful of tree this afternoon, I really take you point about protection and will get some safety glasses.  They will also do wonders for the "sartorial elegance"!

Thanks again

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal