Author Topic: curved paths?  (Read 13456 times)

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
curved paths?
« on: August 28, 2006, 01:50:39 »
I'd like to start laying out my beds and my paths, but I'd like the paths to be curved.

:: What are the pros and cons to using black plastic as opposed to the more expensive weed suppressant material?

:: Also, what could I edge the paths with that could be bent? Boards would be great if I wanted straight paths, as they're easier to come by. The fancy garden centre edging costs quite a bit.

:: And, what can I put over the plastic? Will straw blow away? Pine needles? Don't know if I could get enough bark chips. Rocks would be messy and a bit expensive. The square paving stones are nice but are a bit hard for a curved path when you don't have a lot of space.

Anyone have any ideas/tips/suggestions/photos?
urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: curved paths?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 09:07:13 »
Hi STHLMgreen
:: What are the pros and cons to using black plastic as opposed to the more expensive weed suppressant material?
Weed suppressant, covered, will last several years and let the moisture through so you won't get boggy paths

:: Also, what could I edge the paths with that could be bent? Boards would be great if I wanted straight paths, as they're easier to come by. The fancy garden centre edging costs quite a bit.
Do a search on 'bed edge/edging/edges/paths' here, loads of ideas and pictures!

:: And, what can I put over the plastic? Will straw blow away?
Amazingly, no! But I wouldn't tempt fate - don't lay it on a rainy day, and wet it down after laying ;)

Anyone have any ideas/tips/suggestions/photos?

I don't edge my beds, they rise by default with mulching and cultivation. It might be a good idea to leave them un-edged for a couple of seasons so you can test the layout and change it easily in the light of experience?

Woodchips over ground cover membrane:

Straw over thick newspaper:

:)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 09:12:30 by supersprout »

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 09:17:37 »
inspirational as always, sprout  ;D

I build up my beds using willow twigs that have been cut and left to dry out a bit (else they take root) - I stick a 3ft twig in every 6-8 inches and then weave more twigs through horizonally - looks quite nice as well and keeps the soil in place where the beds are raised

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 10:14:02 »
You can edge curved paths with boards fairly easily. On the curve you need to make several cut part way through the board which then allows it to be bent to the appropriate curve. I have found this which might help explain it a bit better!

http://www.pavingexpert.com/edging2.htm

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 10:38:32 »
Thanks for the responses! Brilliant ideas and photos.

Will newspaper drain or leave puddles?

Calendula, I'd love to see a picture of this! Sounds like it would look a bit more natural.

urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 11:03:27 »
Newspaper will drain slowly when covered with a thick layer of straw or woodchips. But it won't last more than a couple of years. You could try cardboard? Both free - my chums save theirs for me :) Your plottie sounds intriguing, do let us see the plans and the emerging paths as you go :D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 20:37:17 »
I have found that the black plastic route should be avoided in the long term as it does tend to break when moved. (mine did when harvesting spuds grown underneath)Weed suppressant or other has to be a better option.
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal