Author Topic: sweet william seeds  (Read 1719 times)

topstar74

sweet william seeds
« on: August 27, 2006, 23:05:52 »
I grew some Sweet William plants from seed last year. Whilst a lot of them did not flower last year, this year all of them have flowered well and have given a good display for weeks. Now I have collected the seeds from most of the flowers. Can someone please tell me when should I sow the seeds for the plants to grow and flower next year? Also, will the existing plants flower next year as well or will they die?

rdm51

• Half Acre
Re: sweet william seeds
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 08:55:03 »
Hi Topstar.
 I think you maybe a bit late in sowing Sweet William seed now. Sowed mine in July for flowing next year, you might get away with splitting the plants if big enough.
 Sweet William is a perennial  will flower again next year. so i would hold sowing your seeds until spring or early summer next year, hope this helps.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 09:12:58 »
you could say that when a plant sheds its seeds then that is the time to sow as that is what the plant is doing naturally so you could do it now and overwinter with some care or leave it to the spring (not sure they will flower first year though)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 10:32:48 »
Why don't you sew some now and save some to sew in the spring. If you sew them now and prick them out as soon as you can into individual pots you could have some nice plants to put out in spring and they will flower. They all take a knock back over the winter anyway. Just nurture them until then
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal