Author Topic: Field Mushrooms Glut  (Read 9034 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Field Mushrooms Glut
« on: August 24, 2006, 08:52:17 »
Came across a few mushrooms this morning, picked for three minutes and filled a carrier bag and left the rest for someone else. Must of been this years weather but there were thousands!

However been as we have a glut of everything else at the moment what do people recommend is the best storage method. Drying freezing soup etc

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Field Mushrooms Glut
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 08:54:28 »
Oo lucky you! Dry them! ;D

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 09:13:50 »
And the next question will be how - there seems a lot of conflicting views when googling.

Just tested (for safety reasons) a few in garlic with the cook at work  ;)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 09:25:53 »
LOL important to take H&S seriously ;)
I used to cut them into thick slices (1/4") and thread them through a thick cotton thread (with darning needle), then hang them in festoons around the kitchen like washing line, and very fetching they looked dangling there too. The odd one will fall off into whatever you are cooking, never mind ;D
Now I have a wonderful dehydrator - but no mushroom glut :'( count your blessings glow! :)

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 09:33:54 »
Ta SS

I would recommend visiting areas that used to have mushrooms then. These shrooms have sprung up where I hadnt seen any for 5+ years - but the weathers been perfect 4 em.

and if not its a good walk!

Lazy Daisy

• Quarter Acre
  • Where's the sun gone
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 09:49:10 »
I must be a down and out coward, have never had the guts to go mushroom picking eventhough I love them. How do you find the courage to go picking and where would be the best type of place to try ??
Enthusiastic Amateur, hopefully quick learner

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 10:39:54 »
If you're that nervous, take a fungus identification book with you. I've had loads of fun in the past collecting wild fungi. My favourite used to be honey fungus, but I haven't seen it for years.

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 10:43:12 »
field mushrooms are fine they live in fields aren't red with white spots and don't have gnomes sitting on top of them with fishing rods. Everything else should be considered dodgy IMO. Get a good book and only pick if 100% confident that what you are picking has been correctly identified.

Saw an amazing chicken of the woods the other day but bottled out of getting it as I was only 98% certain, that and the fact it was high up and non of the kids would go up for it :o

Best places to find mushrooms are well kept secrets however find somewhere a little of the beaten track and you'll increase your chances of being the first one to a site

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 11:01:52 »
I have lots of mushrooms, growing in the garden, but does anyone know of a good website or book for identifying the different varieties, as I don't really want to poison myself or OH!  :D
Kathi :-)

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 12:26:22 »
Try

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com

Roger Phillips's book is apparently the best guide.  I have the Dorling Kindersley Pocket Nature: Fungi, which is also pretty good.

natasha

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 15:42:18 »
I've heard that warms only infest edible mushrooms and avoid poisonous. Not much of a clue, but... might also help.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 15:44:32 »
I've heard that warms only infest edible mushrooms

What sort of warms??

Sorry couldn't resist ;D ;D

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 16:36:56 »
Thanks all  ;D
Kathi :-)

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 16:39:18 »
Sauce is another very good way to use up a glut - add onions, seasoning and a bit of milk. When de-frosted, a touch of cream and you have an instant pasta sauce.

Truffle

• Half Acre
    • Grow truffles!-
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 17:12:37 »
Just a word of caution for anyone thinking about picking wild fungi, you need to be really sure its the right species. There are some poisonous species that look just like a field mushroom to the untrained eye......be careful.

Having said that, it does seem to be a bumper year for field mushrooms- we harvested a bag full at the weekend ;D

Truffle
www.PlantationSystems.com
Want to know about truffles? then visit our website, you can even buy truffle-trees ;-)

natasha

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 17:14:28 »

What sort of warms??

Sorry couldn't resist ;D ;D

Oh God, I know it sounds awful and I can't explain it properly ... but a wild edible mushroom is a source of food for all sorts of creepy crawly and while it is still young it stays clean from them, as it grows older and bigger, it gets nibbled by maggots. So if you come across a family of wild mushrooms and some of them are nibbled from inside, it means that the little clean ones are good too eat.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 17:44:20 »
Several years ago we had a crop of puffball mushrooms growing in part of our grassed area.   They were delicious and we left some to explode and spread their pores for future years but haven't seen one since.

Can anyone explain their cycle or does it depend on weather conditions?
Obxx - Vendée France

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 18:14:44 »
Sauce is another very good way to use up a glut - add onions, seasoning and a bit of milk. When de-frosted, a touch of cream and you have an instant pasta sauce.

I've only ever bought 'gluts' - usually when the open market's been closing down on Saturday 8) and I've made lots of curry & frozen it....a useful base to add other veggies to or to add to chicken.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 20:37:34 »
that's how I get mine; I've finally convinced the family that the big open mushrooms are tastier than those horrible little button things.

Lazy Daisy

• Quarter Acre
  • Where's the sun gone
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 09:45:42 »
Well have taken the plunge and ordered some kits to grow my own at home, Chestnut and Shitake. Hope I have more luck indoors than the logs I have outside. Will keep you all posted
Enthusiastic Amateur, hopefully quick learner

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal