Author Topic: Pretty hedge...  (Read 2622 times)

Miss Tiggywinkle

• Not So New ...
  • Slightly prickled, with a flat underside...
Pretty hedge...
« on: April 02, 2004, 12:58:08 »
Hello all - I've just registered at what seems to be a great site...

Anyhoo, I've seen a really pretty hedge down our road, and a nearby road, which I shall try to describe.  It's got green leaves a little bit like privet, but has lovely salmon pink flowers on - its beautiful.  Does anyone know what it might be?  Unfortunately, no piccie, although I may be tempted to sneak out early one morning and risk looking odd (not that that's anything new - I garden in the rain!

As for me, my enthusiasm for gardening has come in in leaps and bounds since we got our won house with a tired, unloved plot all set to lawn (grand name for it!).  Slowly taming it, getting lots of wildlife in and loving the extra hour of light at the end of the day...

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Tiggy
When the clouds appear like rocks and towers, the earth's refreshed by frequent showers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Pretty hedge...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 13:22:14 »
Could it be a flowering currant... 'Ribes' - ornamental currant, or a berberis, altho I don't know if they come in salmon pink.  Any other suggestions out there?

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 14:18:25 »
Hi Miss T.  You dont say when the flowers are showing.  Are they there now or do they make an appearance later in the year.  Sounds as though it could be escallonia to me.  Just got enough plants for a hedge myself so hope that they come up well.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 17:58:58 »
Oh yeah mimi, mus got an escalonia and it looks great at the moment.  Another one I passed on the school run was a quince bush in full pink bloom, looking gorgeous.  This is whetting my appetite to get some for my front garden.....I can sense the cutting scissors coming out and a little nip and tuck taking place to the neighbourhoods shrubs!

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 19:08:10 »
Hi Miss T and welcome :D  Sounds like an escalonia to me.  I have them but they are not in flower as yet.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Miss Tiggywinkle

• Not So New ...
  • Slightly prickled, with a flat underside...
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 09:28:12 »
Thanks for your replies... it is escallonia - I checked on google.  I'm tempted to get some for my back garden.  Speaking of which, I exapnded one of my borders yesterday with great satisfaction - eagerly watched by the birds on the fence, who came swooping in for the worms as soon as they could!  Bless - it's not as if I don't feed the little so and sos!
When the clouds appear like rocks and towers, the earth's refreshed by frequent showers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal