Author Topic: 2006 - Celery  (Read 2138 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
2006 - Celery
« on: August 21, 2006, 16:44:11 »
Galaxy Lathom self-blanching.  Grown in a pot (not normally in the middle of the lawn!) and harvested and eaten yesterday.  G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: 2006 - Celery
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 18:59:18 »
That looks real tasty Georgie.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 20:31:55 »
I'd forgotten what 'real' celery tasted like, Lorna.  I turned it into a celery and potato soup and even if I say so myself it was delicious.  And is really is self-blanching too.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 21:31:35 »
Wow!  I have decided not to bother growing celery next year as it doesn't like the drought conditions on the allotment, but in a pot like that in the garden it would look fab!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 21:42:20 »
I agree that it's quite an architectural veg, EJ.  Eveyone warned me against bothering with celery but as it's in my top ten fave edibles I just had to give it a go.  I've grown three plants all in pots in the middle of the so called veg patch.  Might be tempted to try a few more next year, but what to give up?

G x

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 18:16:46 »
I tried this year and failed but a pot seems a good idea. What compost did you use?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 20:01:35 »
Hi Rosy.  I mixed some JI no 2 with my own compost and added some leaf mould, composted turves, organic chicken manure pellets and perlite.  I'm afraid I can't tell you in what proportions: I garden like I cook - handfull of this, pinch of that etc .   ;)   Seriously though it seems perfectly happy in a pot provided you use good compost and water it regularly.  I wish you better luck next year.   :)

G x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal