Author Topic: Favourite Squashes?  (Read 4730 times)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Re: Favourite Squashes?
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 21:24:09 »
I absolutely adore Hubbard Squash - green skinned (seed from South Africa).   Also the gem squash (rolet) and butternut.  Yummy

I swopped some of the hubbard squash and gem squash seeds with a couple of people on the board and would love to know how they have found these two.  I have grown my hubbard and gem squash up a trellis and the gems have done very well - about 8 picked and eaten already but the hubbard squash - only one fair size and the rest start swelling and then seem to rot.  I do see tonight that there are several flowers again - so maybe I will be lucky and get another one before the weather starts turning.  I think my neighbour thinks I'm mad with these things having on the trellis!!  I'm Sure he thinks - these foreigners!!

In South Africa we tend to eat a lot of pumpkin.  That is one think that I have really missed out here - no hubbard or gem squash readily available.  I once found some at a local store and almost went wild with delight.  I scooped them all up and only once I got home did I realise that I had forgotten to buy what I had originally set out for  :-[

I will however try and get some seed for cobnut and I have seed that I have saved from shop bought butternuts which say they were grown in SA - but then who knows these things for sure.  Also going over to SA for Xmas and will be hitting the nurseries to get some seed I cannot get here like soup celery.  Thinner stalks than the usual stuff I see in the shops.  I also miss white corn - called mielies in SA.  But I must admit I tasted freshly picked corn off a friends allotment earlier this week and these were absolutely fantastic!! :o

Jitterbug
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 22:08:50 by Jitterbug »
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 21:57:19 »
Agree, Hubbard & Little Gem for me

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 22:04:13 »
I am a butternut fan, I brought one the other day and sliced some of it up and chucked it in the chip pan with some spuds, topped with some rearly strong cheddar, WOW, if I wasn't so full of pizza I would make some more now !!

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 22:14:46 »
biscombe and tinkie bear - thanks for the ideas on cooking butternut.  DH not so keen on it - says it is too sweet so I am going to go the chilli route as he is a vindaloo man.  Nothings too  hot for him.  Maybe I can get him to like them after all ;D ;D  ;)

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2006, 20:34:56 »
for the first time we have squashes ever ,

i grew Dawn squash - Spegetti squash and somthing else that has grown !

all will be grown next yr what an excellent bit of veg !!!
another member of i forgot my password

cherry

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2006, 21:40:38 »
Anybody grown Turks Turban?    I have for the first time and have about 1/2 doz of various sizes.    How do you know when they are ready and any ideas for cooking them.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2006, 22:11:16 »
Oh TT are a lovely squash! Let them carry on growing til ripe (hard skin, tough brown stalk), harvest and let 'ripen' and they will last over winter. Use like any squash - they are the sweet and mealy sort, like butternut :D

cherry

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2006, 22:17:55 »
Thanks for that Supersprout.    The butternuts that I have are still throwing out male flowers so I doubt I'll get any of them this year. :(

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 11:49:36 »
I can't believe how prolific my Butternuts are this year. I have 4 plants trained up a network of wires with a total of 25 large fruits with more on the way. I pinched the growing tips out this week-end and removed some of the foliage to help them ripen. I have one weird fruit which is Siamese Twins. I'll get a photo and post it....very funny looking. My other Winter Squash have only produced 3-4 fruits per vine. Can't wait to start roasting some for tea... ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal