Author Topic: Cold frames  (Read 2249 times)

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
Cold frames
« on: August 17, 2006, 08:31:25 »
Hi folks
I am the proud owner of a large coldframe lovingly made by my other half.  Problem is, how to get the best use out of it?  All I have done so far is to over-winter a few plants in it.  It is unheated.  How do you use yours?  What are you doing with it at the moment?  Any/all tips/advice gratefully received.
Weeds? What weeds?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Cold frames
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 10:44:39 »
I made two of my own, lovingly known as coffins, to use some old windows we had... apart from trying to cut my fingers off in a hailstorm in May they are great.  I have outdoor toms and Cucs in them at the moment and some chinese veg plants to follow on for one as overwinter crop. In spring they heave withthings being hardened off. You need to get straight what you want to do when... I have a 10x8' Poly that has toms and chillis and peppers in, and a cuc and a butternut but whant another so I can have a summer and a winter house!!!
 ;D

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 21:16:23 »
I have two again using old window frames. I use them in Spring for growing seedlings. When frosts end, I transfer some stuff to what I call "Holding frames". These are like cold frames with wire mesh replacing the glass. These allow seedlings to harden off without being eaten pigeons.

In June, I sometimes grow early courgettes in the frames.

This year I have tried using frames for ripeneing tomatoes - this worked well until vandals smashed some of the glass so I had to throw the fruit away. Also trying ripening apples the same way.

In the Winter, I usually take the frames into my shed but have sometimes grown Winter lettuce in them

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 18:43:00 »
Thanks for the ideas - might try the Chinese veg, sounds interesting.  Sorry to hear about the vandals smashing the glass - hard to fathom some people isn't it? :(
Weeds? What weeds?

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 00:35:58 »
what's the use of a cold frame anyway? i mean it's is just wood with a glass sheet on top? surely it doesn't prevent plants from being hit by frost.....does it?

sorry just never had one.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 20:23:08 »
You'd be surprised then Wahaj... mine have kept plants alive when the outside temp has been down to minus five... the real problem is ventilation when you get those bright sunny days and you are out at work in all the daylight!
 8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal