Author Topic: Puff Balls  (Read 1014 times)

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
Puff Balls
« on: August 24, 2006, 00:53:17 »
This is not a sexual term !

Any advice in this area, I am looking to get Puff Balls to grow in the allotment or around the area. what is the best type of area to plant them, I have found them growing in a varity of areas (but not where I would like to harvest them) from the side of the road to the middle of fields or at the base of trees. But how do you get them to grow where you want.

Any Help

Aiden
 ???
Hello world
Green sleeves or green hair , it depends on the direction of the wipe. Dont fear untill you have to shake hands.
Aiden

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Puff Balls
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 03:31:07 »
Never done this, or know much about them. But, the puffball itself is just the visible fruiting part of the plant, and it seems that there might be some point in transferring a quantity of soil from a place where they have been growing. This might carry the threads of the fungus, so it might grow where you want it. Or maybe get one that is ripe and ready to burst the powdery spores, and make sure that the spores go into the area where you want them to grow. They live on dead organic matter, so you need to make sure your soil is rich with this. I think I've heard that puffballs have been used to help trees establish when newly planted, and they take a ripe puffball, before it goes powdery, cut it into slices, dry it and mix it into the planting soil, where it establishes and provides some benefit to the tree. Maybe someone here is an expert on this, it would be interesting to know  :)

bellebouche

• Quarter Acre
    • www.bellebouche.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 07:19:57 »
I once tried very hard to propagate puffballs by taking a mature specimen and running about a 70-acre farm puffing away tiny little clouds of spores in places that looked like they'd suit the mushroom quite well. In the four years after I did this.. not one fresh sighting but my fave spot for harvesting monster puffballs almost always turned up a giant specimen or two.

I'm resigned to the fact that they're as much a mystery as they are a delight... I've moved on from that farm now and last autumn was thrilled to discover a fresh spot for them not more than a few hundred metres from my front door. I'll have another go though should I discover one that's gone over... always the optimist and you never know it might just be possible to spawn a few.

- Adrian

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 08:00:25 »
I'm resigned to the fact that they're as much a mystery as they are a delight...
How teruuue :-\ - happy days, living in York 25 years ago, the wholefood shop had a supplier 8) who kept them in puffballs, and what I wouldn't give for a slice fried in butter now (sigh)

Might be worth contacting the British Mycological Society greensleeves? If anyone can, they can! ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal