Author Topic: BBC gives allotment coverage  (Read 5377 times)

dicky

• Half Acre
BBC gives allotment coverage
« on: August 11, 2006, 23:04:21 »

johcharly

• Half Acre
Re: BBC gives allotment coverage
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 23:20:01 »
I saw that earlier it says on there that the average yield from an allotment is £300 a year, don't know how they quantified it , but I always wondered what it would be.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 06:35:34 »
Thanks Dicky.  :)

I sent in a mail.

Col

This is it,

My two allotments provide healthy outdoor activity with free food. Hard work brings the rewards of fresh fruit, veg and cut flowers. I also make my own jams and pickles. My wife and I have no access to outdoor space at home so the allotment is an improvement to our lives in many ways, for example we could not afford to eat as well as we do without growing our own food and we have opportunities for re-using and recycling in practical ways. There are vacant plots on my site although I was told by the council that there is a waiting list of over fifty people. I think they are running the site down. I would be distraught if it was lost to housing. All potential plot holders are made welcome and supported by the old boys and we have a good mix of people all keeping their own plots in their own way and giving a helping hand to others whever they can.
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 17:35:07 »
:)Thanks Dicky :) very interesting, I sent an e-mail /shades x
grow your own way

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 13:13:46 »
Sent in an email too...

I have had an allotment for two years and am still learning. It is my gym at the end of the day; 1 hour a day digging, weeding, sowing etc (4 hours on Saturday if I can afford it) gets my heart beating with the added benefit of actually achieving something in peaceful surroundings.

I know my fruit and veg is clean and fresh. I know I'm calmer, happier and more at peace with myself and others after time down the plot. I  know that gentle gardening done correctly is superb therapy for depression and physical disorders with marked improvement for the sufferer.

I know that people underestimate what a significant part of your life an allotment is. Digging in the winter and the spring, daily maintenance of plants in the growing/harvesting season, the ever escalating battle against weed invasion AND the daunting task of clearing the plot in the first place. The back of your thighs will become very toned indeed...  Before getting their plot, applicants should consider reading as many first-hand accounts of allotmenting as possible, join allotment forums for knowledge development and even volunteer at the site they wish to join.

I believe that under allotment/council rules if there are more than 10 people in an area wanting an allotment the council should provide one. Further research on that is needed.

Allotments are worth more to the **community** than another housing development with a large tarmac'd parking area is.

Felt like responsing to the gentleman wanting a "male only" activity but decided against it! ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 15:41:50 »
Leaves me wondering where the title 'Can you dig it?' comes from. Did they nick it from my column, did my editor nick it from somewhere else, or is it coincidence?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 00:01:19 »
Old Pop Will Eat Itself song title ;D  Will post my response tomorrow and might have a dig at the old 'men only' curmudgeon.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 10:01:03 »
Thanks. I thought it probably came from somewhere.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 18:42:39 »
Just remember by growing things on your allotment you are reducing your carbon footprint and helping the environment.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 20:38:25 »
And you actually enjoy eating your own produce...
 8)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 11:17:11 »
thanks for that, sent an e mail

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 11:53:57 »
Yes, the 'average' figure of £300-worth of produce raises more questions than it answers, doesn't it?

It doesn't include labour, but have they factored in any materials costs (including stuff like mulches or feeds that not everyone can make themselves)? Or even the cost of seeds/ plants?

And even if they're just giving a straight 'it'd-cost-this-much-to-buy-this stuff-from-the-shops', which shops?  Local greengrocer, farm veg box service, Asda or Waitrose?

???

I'm certainly no wiser!  ;D

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 13:29:45 »
for the first time in many years I am now actually making a list of all costs weighed against profits from my plots - I grow organically so I am using a supermarket organic produce as a guide but knocking a bit off (don't know why as the locak organic food store would charge even more but anyway its a guide) and even though allotment charges have gone up this year my profit is looking to be huge and that's without taking into consideration the goodness of the exercise, the fresh air, the therapy (learning to love weeds being part of that therapy - makes you calmer  ;))

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 23:29:53 »
There are a lot of edible weeds out there, so if your seed didn't germinate you wouldn't go hungry!
Like the Bible on edible weeds I can't recommned Rose Bay Willow Herb! but Evening Primrose roots...
 ;D

plimsoll plot2

• Quarter Acre
  • Where my heart is
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 05:51:54 »
Sorry but he made my blood boil this morning, i had to write something back to the men only plots pratt..........

were my heart is down at the plot

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 16:13:06 »
...the therapy (learning to love weeds being part of that therapy - makes you calmer  ;))

You are SO right.  I can plod around the weed-infested haven these days without any worry from a nervous breakdown because, hey: they're just weeds!

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 09:25:30 »
Re: men only.

You just have to sigh...  I felt like recommending some Men Only clubs that they have in Manchester - but I'm not sure it was what he had in mind...

He could always hang a big sign on his plot and then everyone will leave him alone...  Humbug!

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 10:01:43 »
Re: men only.

You just have to sigh...  I felt like recommending some Men Only clubs that they have in Manchester - but I'm not sure it was what he had in mind...

He could always hang a big sign on his plot and then everyone will leave him alone...  Humbug!

I think it pays to remember that weeds can attract wildlife and aid pollination as they can attract bees and insects.  As long as no one of them is allowed to take over - don't beat yourself up about them.  As far as I know - there are no weed police and it breaks no law to let a few escape your hoe!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal