Author Topic: My giant sunflower garden  (Read 2257 times)

sunflower_info

• Not So New ...
    • Giant Sunflowers
My giant sunflower garden
« on: August 10, 2006, 05:22:28 »
Here are a couple pics taken in the last few days.  All pics are taken at my home in New Jersey.   I'm 6'3" tall, and my wife is 5'4"

This sunflower only made it to about 13 ft. tall, but it was self-sown and grew in the grass on the edge of the garden.  The patch of ground was never turned over.  I found that to be pretty impressive.  It seems to still be growing as it's sending side shoots up past the main head. 

I'm trialing the sunflowers from the USDA seedbank.  They were collected from 15ft plants on a Hopi Reservation in Arizona.  Guessing they are probably around 13+ ft. or so.  The seeds were giant; so I'm looking forward to seeing the size of the heads on these plants.

This is a picture of my wife standing next to a row of my tall sunflowers.  Most of the sunflowers are either Bott's Strain, CravenXBotts, or Richard Hope(UK) seeds.   The tallest plant around 15 ft. was from Richard Hope's seeds.   The corn in the background is called Jala, and still has another month to go, and will probably surpass the sunflowers in height.  It gets close to 20 ft. tall at full height. 

close-up

Hopefully, I'll have some more pictures coming soon.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: My giant sunflower garden
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 08:03:24 »
Glad you told me the Sweetcorn Variety, I would have had to ask! I've seen 12' corn here, Cuzco Giant but it didn't crop as the summers aren't hot/long enough...
 ;D

sunflower_info

• Not So New ...
    • Giant Sunflowers
Re: My giant sunflower garden
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 02:44:18 »
My wife took some more pics this morning.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal