Author Topic: New Potatoes  (Read 994 times)

redcow

• Not So New ...
New Potatoes
« on: August 09, 2006, 10:24:57 »
While on the plot last night I noticed some of my first early potatoes had died - the top bits with the flowers on, while some of the others were still green and alright. There are only about 10 plants left to pick.
Will the potatoes under the ground be alright? I haven't dug any up as I still have plenty to be going on with. Have I left these too late? Should I  be digging up my second earlies now???

Many Thanks
RC

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: New Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 10:41:03 »
The crop should be fine. potato plants die back naturaly when they have produced a crop. The speed this happens varies from plant to plant. What happens is the plant draws the energies from the foliage to bulk up the tubers.

Unless of course they have been struck by blight then you may have a problem. if the dieing off happened very quickly  and the dead foliage looks like it has been burnt then this is what may have happened. In this case you will have to dig the crop very quicky befor ehte are affected and rot. If not blight then the crop is best kept in the ground until needed.

Without seeing the plants/crop i cannot be more helpfull. Maybe others can help more.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal