Author Topic: apricot and nectarine plants from seed  (Read 2542 times)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
apricot and nectarine plants from seed
« on: August 07, 2006, 18:52:54 »
my small apricot tree (in the greenhouse) blossomed for the first time this year, after several years waiting patiently so I  thought I would try sowing more apricot and nectarine seeds from some shop bought fruit and lo and behold they have germinated after only a couple of weeks  :o

so if anyone wants to try this you need to gently hammer the nectarine or apricot stone so as not to damage the kernal inside (not so easy, but if you have a few to try with you'd be bound to get a few), then sow the kernals in small pots with ordinary compost - if you are the patient type and have space in your greenhouse or conservatory, this has to be worth it  :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: apricot and nectarine plants from seed
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 19:14:34 »
very timely calendula!
one of the regulars on my plot is growing an apricot tree outdoors :o
it was smothered in blossom earlier in the year, and is now loaded with glowing apricots
he stopped by this morning and invited me to scrump :P
the apricots are harder than supermarket softies, but oh so sweet and flavourful!
brought back a basketful - I'll try starting some of the stones as per your post ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 08:22:31 »
I've grown Pomegranates from seed... it has taken over 14 years but now they are flowering prolifically and have even set a couple... I know they won't come to anything but it is worth it for the flowers!
 :)

This is what you are waiting for.. apparently there are pink and bi-colour flowers as well... if yours comes up different let me know... top tip keep them as warm as poss. mine are on the patio in a SW aspect... I move them back against the wall in Winter, might have flowered sooner but I didn't want a plant flat on one side!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 12:16:09 by saddad »

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 09:14:34 »
that's great to know - I sowed pomegranates about 4 or 5 years ago so not long to wait then ;)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 16:25:47 »
Have a look at this pic Calendula!!!

Sorry for the delay but Photobucket was playing up..
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 10:12:13 by saddad »

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 19:58:03 »
I reckon if you can get them to flower they will want to set fruit and get quite large, seems natural enough and if kept warm????

I like mine just for the green foliage that is tipped with red and I'm planning on bringing the plants indoors for this winter instead of leaving them in the greenhouse - lovely pictures - where would we be without optimism  :)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 18:03:11 »
Some of the fruit are swelling really well, had three almost at tennis ball size!!!! :o
 ;D

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 14:26:08 »
so good to know - I have just germinated a couple more and they are just a few inches high, such pretty plants so I live in hope to get fruits like yours  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal