Author Topic: Need an Expert on this.  (Read 5573 times)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
Re: Need an Expert on this.
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2006, 17:05:46 »

Never realised Bouillon Castle was in Luxembourg until you mentioned it ...

Boullion is in Belgium, in the Province of Luxembourg (not the country which also has a capital by the same name).

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006, 17:08:49 »
Most educative, all this!

I may have been too indistinct in my first post. My meaning, of course, was that all those are ingredients in one tin of stock.

I just can't figure the nuance.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 17:13:19 »
Sorry Dandelion! My fault for misleading Curry. Haven't been there since my 25 year old was 3 so my memories are a bit vague. Hence the either or. In fact I'd forgotten that the province was Luxembourg but it's all rushing back now the ageing brain cells have been reactivated. ;) ;)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 17:25:21 »
My apologies too! I should have added a  :-\ at the end of my post, as I was uncertain whether it was Luxembourg the country, or Luxembourg in Belgium. Ah well, now we all know !!!  :D
The impossible is just a journey away ...

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 18:43:48 »
What's the difference in price ?

bet bouillon is pricier than stock.

???
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 19:22:05 »
of course!! ...it's "cuisine" innit??? ;D ;D ;D

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 19:25:25 »
haute even.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 20:33:54 »
Tim, now that really is confusing. I thought you were comparing different products. I await an answer as you do, but I suspect we're not going to get one.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 09:09:50 »
Tim - you poor chap - you asked a simple question and haven't been given a straight answer. I don't think there is one. But I have heard Gordon and Nigel both recommend Marigold Vegetable bouillon powder for emergencies. You can get it in most supermarkets nowadays and it is quite good as a standby - far better than those cubes or bottles of concentrate.
Chantenay.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 09:50:33 »
Tim, sorry for the frivolous asides. :-[ :-[
Bouillon, like stock, is the liquid produced by boiling meat and/or vegetables in water. They are synonyms for  practical purposes. Bouillon is not gravy but like stock gets used in the process of making gravies and sauces. Not to be confused with court-bouillon which is the liquid used for cooking fish. It is not soup except in the sense that the old-fashioned "beef tea" is soup.

Like others in this thread I prefer to make my own, however, I don't always have the time to make it so resort to buying powder, cubes or ready made liquid stock. My criteria for choosing are:
do I need beef, chicken or vegetable
which contains the least salt and/or additives
where possible I buy organic

I always read the packet before buying. (Come to think of it I'd probably be quicker making my own!! ;) ;D)

As far as I am concerned the use of the word "bouillon" by manufacturers to describe stock is an affectation - a marketing ploy to attract people who might think that they are buying a "classier" product when, in fact, they are simply purchasing stock.

Hope this helps! :)

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2006, 09:53:52 »
Tim, I work on the "one for the pot, one for me" basis when adding wine to stocks. After a few glasses everything tastes great!  ;D
This year it's squash.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2006, 12:24:18 »
And a couple of snipped-up anchovies add real depth of flavour.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal