Author Topic: Worrying first-time seedling mother!!  (Read 1878 times)

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
Worrying first-time seedling mother!!
« on: March 30, 2004, 18:15:36 »
Ok, i know i am probably fussing over nothing but being a first timer with veggies and seedlings etc I'm sure you'll excuse me this question but...  when i was looking at my tomato seedlings i noticed that the tips of the seed leaves had turned a bit yellowy and dry looking.  Does this mean they need more water, or less?  Or is it something else entirely ??? ??? ???

Sparky

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
Re:Worrying first-time seedling mother!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 18:17:28 »
Less water probs, but don't apologise.  When we start out we all go though this stage of experimenting and learning.  Just sow some more and keep going!  ;D
Muddy Boots

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 18:18:43 »
However, having said that, there are loads more experienced who can help u here.  Just meant, keep trying and don't give up!
Muddy Boots

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 19:28:50 »
You say i noticed that the tips of the seed leaves had turned a bit yellowy and dry looking.  Does this mean they need more water, or less? Sparky

I presume the real/proper leaves are well on their way now. If I am right your seed leaves (cotyledons) have now done there job and are just dying back.

Just steady away with the water for now, until planting out time.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 19:29:13 by The gardener »

The Gardener

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 21:50:32 »
If it is just the seed leaves then no need to worry,it`s great when you can get a plant to be ready for it`s final home and still have the seed leaves-but that is mostly cosmetic.

I sell hundreds of plants a year-and one tip,if the seed leaves are there when you buy you know it was well grown,but the opposite is not true- a perfectly good plant may have lost them.

Sorry- does that sound silly?

Stephan.

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 21:54:22 »
Ah ha!!  The true leaves are fan-dabby-dowsy so I guess they'll be ok.  Thanks people ;D

Sparky

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal