Author Topic: Hello To You All...  (Read 14881 times)

baggieboy

• Half Acre
Hello To You All...
« on: August 04, 2006, 22:54:00 »
Hi there,

I have just taken over a plot (not sure of size). I am only 28 and despite a couple of my mates calling me Aurther Fowler and Charlie Slater , Im really looking forward to taking on this project.

My reason for wanting an allotment is because i live in a flat with my GF and 2 kids. My 3 yr old son loves watering his nans plants and picking her strawberries , so i thought an allotment would be an ideal way of learning him where food comes from, and let him enjoy the fresh air and stop him from loving junk food.

I am also a massive fan of River Cottage so growing my own dinner appeals to me hugely.

On to my plot , i went to my local allotments and asked about, but was told i would have to go on a waiting list. I asked if there were any plots that needed bringing back to life.

The man explained the only plot that was in need of aid haden't been touched for 30 years  :o :o.........

So i went to look at it.....full of broken sheds, shopping trollys, glass, massive overgrowth. The man said , "If you take this on you must be mad.". Well i must be a nutter then cause i took it on without a moments hesitation. Unfortunatly i haven't got a pic yet but will take one in the morning, when i goto cut down the connifers that surround it.

anyway thanks for reading and ill let you now how it goes. Then ill start asking loads of questions  :)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: Hello To You All...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 23:10:26 »
Hi! Welcome baggieboy! Good for you for taking over a plot, as, although there is a lot of work attached to having an allotment, you will be so pleased you have got one when you start harvesting great tasting veggies. It is brilliant for the children too and as you say it will be introducing them to real vegetables and not the sellophane wrapped ones you see in the supermarket. Looking forward to see your pics and hearing how you progress.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 23:40:52 »
Hello! Full of admiration, here,  & looking forward to seeing the pics you take.  Your little lad's got quite an adventure playground there - so have you by the sound of it ;D

Good luck with the tree felling tomorrow 8)

Lishka

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 23:58:19 »
Big welcome baggieboy. This is a great place to be. When you have cleared all the dangerous stuff away I am sure your son will love going to the allotment with you. Good luck. Don't forget pics before and then at each stage.
Lorna.

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 00:03:33 »
Hi welcome to the site I'm sure you will find all the advice you need here. Mind I'm on the dummy level so dont ask me  :D
Just have an extra Shreddie in the morning and you'll whop those trees no bother ;)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 00:07:01 »
Choclat, isn't it Weetabix the man needs? He'll be in shreds enough by tomorrow night ;D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 00:08:57 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it! Take lots of pics, the before and after ones are what keep you going, along with Weetabix, Radox and chocolate!

;)

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 00:18:05 »
thanks for all the replies. Will post some photos tomorrow. Don't realy goto the pub cause woukld rather be with my family, so can't wait to get started.

Prolly be here this time tomorrow ...ripped to shreds....with visions of killer conifers

peace all

MonsterMum

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 09:19:15 »
Hi Baggie,

I know what you're saying about friends who take the mick.  I'm only 25 and took my first plot on a few months ago, since then I've had it all!

Like you I have a young daughter and we don't really have a garden, so for me some of the many reasons for getting it was so that she could have some outdoor space to play.  We have created a grass area especially.  It will also teach her where veg comes from, all the different types and hopefully make her more inclined to eat it ;)

Good luck!

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 09:59:54 »
welcome aboard, you are a hero to take on such a neglected plot. still, at least no waiting around, eh?
i do hope you dont pay rent until next spring, or some such deal

i recommend gardening with gloves on, leather gloves at that. where glass has been involved in the past (i.e. broken greenhouse etc) it is a safer way to work the soil and plant and sow into it.

teach your children about safety too, and the glass! worth it i think

good luck with the clearing, and do take pictures before you start, and as you go along. it gives a huge boost to be able to see the transformation and remind yourself what you started out with!
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 12:04:33 »
Sorry I'm late, yes loads of chocolate those really big bars that you treat yourself  too when your fed up. Mmmmlovely.
Mmm not fed up but I think I'll treat myself anyway  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 12:43:42 »
Baggie, loads of us will have seeds to give away to get you started ....ask or look in Swap Shop when you're ready....doesn't always have to be Swaps, you know 8)

choclat.....you're showing REAL promise ;D When we next run a Tasting Session in Watershed, you're invited along ;D ;D ;D

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 17:24:50 »
Not heard of that  ???
Missed it again   will make sure I
float round the Watershed........guesswhat
fell into my pocket at the corner shop whilst
I was paying my papers......well guess!!!
You're right a massive bar of Galaxy...warm it was
my bestest favorite  Mmmmm...dipped in tea  :P :P

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 19:15:31 »
Hi there just got back from my 1st day and im half dead lol, took some photos to show you
what it looks like. My mom helped me by cutting some of the weeds etc down.

I spent the day demolishing that ugly looking shed. Coulden't face the conifers. Diden't find any hidden treasure..

Am going back in the morning will keep you all updated

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 19:24:47 »
 :o

Blimey! Got your work cut out there, mate! However, lots of upsides. Don't burn the pallet-type bits of wood, you may need them later (compost bins etc) and there may be all kinds of woody bits that will come in handy!

Well done you for taking it on, looks like you have made a very positive start!

;)

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 19:59:01 »
Flippin' 'eck you'r a good un taking on that lot, you need to be Arnie to get thro' it all. You'll be so proud when its all finished and you'v got you'r first crop in the pot.
Then is there any chance that you can pop round and do mine?  ;D ;D ;D

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 20:42:21 »
 :)

We went empty Handed, and came back with carrots, french beans , beetroot, potatoes , tomatoes. Everyone who was there came and said hi, and gave us a bag of veg. What a freindly bunch of people you lot are..Gonna Make a stew on monday with it all, if i got any fingers left

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 21:17:03 »
mares tail, builders netting, and a bonfire........your my kinda guy!! gardeners ar a friendly lot, you'll find yourself innundated with everyones extra veg, and extra seedlings next year. and once your on your feet you get to do the same. i never go for a walk around the plots unless I'm empty handed, they're never empty for long.  ;) your neighbours will be really glad that someone's taken on the jungle, good luck and enjoy.

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 21:26:53 »
hi weedbusta,

Someone mentioned mares tale today and said when we got to the stage of digging the plot e.t.c, we would have to make sure that it was totaly got rid of.
 Is that mares tale bad news or is it easily treated? i now im way ahead of myself but was just wondering.

Oh forgot to say we found a big apple tree right up the corner on the plot and ive wanted one of them since i was a kid.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 22:13:29 »
Hi Baggie, we shall be interested in watching your progress.
Welcome to A4A when you have finished the day at the allotment it will be your turn to make 400 cups of tea, Lorna,& Lishka, will do the washing up after we have all gone home. ;D ;D ;D ;D      Good luck with the lottie, have the Radox ready.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal