Author Topic: Fabric dye  (Read 1974 times)

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
  • There are those who call me... Pete
Re: Fabric dye
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 10:18:17 »
Quick update:
I checked on the tannic acid question and for reasons I shaln't bore you with, you really do need the tannic acid. If you ask a pharmacist they should either have both or be able to get them in easily.

Tannic acid - relatively small molecule which will bind to the cotton. It has similar bits on it to wool, which the alum can then treat to stick on the dye.

Alum -  Aluminium sulphate.  A salt which can open out parts of the structure in wool (and similar) to give fixing points for dyes.

Mordant - any treatment to make fibres accept a dye.

;D Have fun!
Pete

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 13:36:20 »
Right, I've been googling the dye..or rather drink and it seems it is very acidic thats why it will dye wool, it says not synthetics or cotton but I don't see why it won't dye cotton even if its not as absorbent as wool.Will I still need to buy the tannic acid if its acidic itself? This is getting really complicated isn't it?...well it is for me ::)
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
  • There are those who call me... Pete
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 17:09:15 »
Yup, still need the tannic acid (also sometimes called tannin, but is a different type to that in your tea). As I say, this puts bits onto the fibre to make it more chemically similar to wool.

Don't worry, we were never all meant to understand everything. Personally the more I learn, the more I know the extent of my ignorance.  :)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2006, 07:28:29 »
Right thanks, I'll try and get it at the chemist, hope he knows what I mean, some chemists look at you rather oddly if you ask for anything out of the ordinary. I've been phoning round, I don't think the chemists here have heard of it, never mind sell it, even had to spell it twice , so Frank had a phone instead ;D ;D he kept repeating it over and over, so it wasn't just me.Where else would I buy it? I can get it over the internet but its American sites,I'd much rather stay local.....Wish I hadn't started this now.... :'(
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 13:49:15 by Val »
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal