Author Topic: Clematis cuttings  (Read 1504 times)

Likes Roses

• Not So New ...
Clematis cuttings
« on: August 11, 2006, 10:32:57 »
I took some cuttings from my daughters plant, it is a deep purple variety with a long glossy leaf?Can anyone give me any advice please on best ways of doing this as i tried to take cuttings of a "Montana "one some years back and didnt have much luck!

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Clematis cuttings
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 12:39:19 »
Clems are done from 'internodal' cuttings. So take a pice of stem of clematis, a light brown one rather than green.  Cut about an inch below a pair of leaves and about an inch above. Remove one of the leaves, or if the stem is really thick split it down the middle to leave 2 pieces with one leaf each. Push the cuttings into standard seed compost (I must say I use pure sand, but that is another story!) Water well and cover with a plastic bag and wait!
Gardening is the great leveller.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 14:16:19 »
You may find this handy in addition to Palustris' instructions as it has nice illustrations. I took some from my montana a week or so ago & all are doing well. I last did some a few years ago & they all grew well.

http://gardenaction.co.uk/plantfinder/clematis_22.asp

Likes Roses

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 15:52:10 »
Thanks for the advice, i have some sand so will try that way and look at other ideas too!When i buy bunches of twiggy flowersfrom Asda they always seem to root, shall let you know what happens!

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 02:42:09 »
Posted by: Palustris  Posted on: August 11, 2006, 12:39:19 
Insert Quote 
Clems are done from 'internodal' cuttings. So take a pice of stem of clematis, a light brown one rather than green.  Cut about an inch below a pair of leaves and about an inch above.

Hope you dont mind a bit of botany. The reason why you take them as internodal is because the hormones that promote rooting (the Auxin) are found in between the nodes and not at the base of the leaf/stem axel like with other plants.
Just a little more info. Hope you dont mind  ;D

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal