Author Topic: DIY Plant Supports  (Read 4052 times)

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
DIY Plant Supports
« on: March 30, 2004, 13:55:56 »
Turn wire framed hanging baskets upside down and use them to support floppy plants from wind-damage.  Secure with a couple of short sticks.  The plants grow through and the supports soon become invisible.  They're only about a quid each from Wilko or Poundstretcher.  Will also stop birds pecking out seeds that have just been sown.  I also make wide tubes out of green plastic trellis (the sort that comes on a roll) for taller plants such as penstemon.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re:DIY Plant Supports
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 14:15:35 »
What good ideas Gillian i shall certainly try the basket i have some in the shed i can now tell my husband i knew there was a good reason for keeping them, i am always being told off for not getting rid of things sonow i can boast you never know. ;D ;D

welcome to our friendly, helpfull,happy,board. 8)  cheers Rosebud

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 14:42:55 »
Try shrub prunings for the natural look. I liked Montys idea on GW, using Dogwood stems for a colourfull effect  ;D

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 15:07:18 »
Brilliant idea Gillian!

Now, like Rosebud, I can tell Ian that's why I was keeping those old hanging baskets in the first place  ::)  

Funny how, when I clear the shed out though, it's always his junk I throw away isn't it!!!  :P

Well mine is useful junk now - thanks to you.  8)  ;) ;)

Eileen.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 15:09:00 by eileen »

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 19:03:18 »
Hi Gillian - welcome and thanks for the tips.  I, like Rosebud and Eileen, have a few old wire hanging baskets - now I know what to use them for :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 22:24:34 »
Thanks for the welcome, Patricia.  I only came across this site a couple of days ago but I am really enjoying it.  I can talk about gardening all day (and my work colleagues probably complain that I already do) so it's nice to have somewhere to chat and get all this wonderful help and advice.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 09:11:11 »
Is that a photo of your garden Gillian.  If so, it looks really beautiful.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 20:19:15 »
I wish it was ! No, it's actually a hotel's garden in Bali.  I just thought it looked so nice.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 21:37:11 »
Silly Gilli for telling the truth...(You could have been on the committee with that garden.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal