Author Topic: Green Manure  (Read 1211 times)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Green Manure
« on: July 30, 2006, 00:58:40 »
now that my onion bed is free can I plant a green manure, such as mustard ???

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Green Manure
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 07:49:33 »
Yes that's a good idea. Just remember mustard is a brassica so you should use a different green manure if you plan on brassica for that bed next year.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 13:34:30 »
thanks dj - didn't think about implications of it being a brassica.  I'm not planning to grow any brassicas (shush your gasping) as my OH doesn't like them - not sure what missing out such a huge chunk will do to my rotation plans

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 13:36:20 »
my son doesn't like most brassica, but loves broccoli and chinese cabbage mc. Could you get away with it? ;)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 19:37:11 »
The risk you run is club root if you're effectively having brassica for 2 rotations. I'd use a nitrogen fixer such as winter tares instead where I'm planning brassica.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 19:39:14 »
can i tag on with a question of my own?

has anyone grown rye grass before? how difficult is it, in terms of digging in and having loads of rye grass grown again when you dont want it?

also, waht is the point of 'winter beans' which as far as i understand it, is simply a variety of broad beans?

i have bought both of those green manures in a moment of not-quite-thinking and i now wonder if they are the right ones for me.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

powerspade

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 23:11:31 »
I tried mustard becaue I was told that it controled wireworms? Control ? it fed the little blighters. So now Im changing over to rye grass which I shall sow in September and leave to over winter and dig in around february next year

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 08:30:51 »
it probably controls wireworm when you did it in and expose them to the greedy birds. this theory doesnt work if you have no greedy birds nearby, of course
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal