Author Topic: What To Do With All My Marrows....  (Read 2084 times)

Crusher

• Not So New ...
  • I love Alliums....
    • HASAS
What To Do With All My Marrows....
« on: August 01, 2006, 10:23:51 »
morning all,

after making some Marrow jam, I have been given a recipe for Marrow Rum.... has anyone else attempted this....

One of the older generation allotmentees has recommended it, but also warned me about the impact of the stuff... :P

look forward to your responses......

Regards

Crusher

ksia

• Quarter Acre
  • Mayenne, France
Re: What To Do With All My Marrows....
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 10:58:04 »
Marrow rum sounds interesting - can you post the recipe/instructions.

We tried marrow wine and marrow champagne last year - both good.

Karen

Crusher

• Not So New ...
  • I love Alliums....
    • HASAS
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 11:09:16 »
MARROW RUM
1 ripe marrow

5 to 7lb of Demerara sugar, according to size of the marrow

General Purpose wine yeast

Yeast nutrient

Wipe marrow clean with damp cloth, then cut a piece off the stalk end of the marrow, deep enough to enable you to scoop out the seeds and pith from the rest of the marrow. Press the Demerara sugar into the cavity left; it depends on the size of the marrow how much you will need; a large one will take 7 pounds of sugar.

Replace the end of the marrow and seal with a piece of sticky tape. Then suspend the marrow over a jar or jug; something with a narrow neck so that the marrow can rest on this but not touch the bottom of the container. Pierce bottom of Marrow several times, not a large hole mind (large sewing needle is good).

After two or three weeks unseal the end of the marrow and add some more sugar; some of the first lot will have been absorbed into the flesh of the marrow. Put the end on again and leave for about six to seven weeks, when the sugar should have mixed with the flesh of the marrow and the resulting liquid will have dripped through into the jar leaving only the shell of the marrow. Add yeast and yeast nutrient. Strain into fermentation jar fit airlock and allow fermentation to finish until dry.

Keep at least twelve months when it will be very strong.

==========================================================

ENJOY....!!!

Could be good for those colder days on the allotment, to warm you through...!

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
  • There are those who call me... Pete
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 12:39:01 »
What a fascinating, if bizarre, recipe!

heeby

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 15:48:04 »
ive heard of this type of recipe before but i have my doubts (imho)but give it a go let me know if you get a gallon of rocket fuel and i will also try it.
mark

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 17:18:44 »
The recipe for marrow rum has been around for decades, I am told that it is rubbish by very many serious wine makers.

People copy out the recipe and pass it on, those who try it, end up with a load of disgusting mush. A waste of sugar, yeast and time. So I have never bothered to try it. If any one  has been successful with it I would like to know.

Every one seems desparate to use up their marrows this time of the year, they are good  to thicken soups and stews and low on calories. Can be used to bulk out pickles or jams.

However, I have never found any one who has had success with using them for wine. Perhaps the fact that they have little taste is a clue.

The nicest idea I found was to bake peeled and hollowed marrows filled with cooked onions seasoned to taste, smothered in butter wrapped in foil for 75 mins. They absorb the flavour of the onion and go well with the Sunday roast and a glass of something else.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal