Author Topic: Fuschias stopped flowering  (Read 4402 times)

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
Fuschias stopped flowering
« on: July 31, 2006, 11:25:15 »
Can anyone suggest a reason why some of my fuschias have stopped flowering?

It's just 3 in the same container.  All the others are fine and they've all had the same treatment: regular watering, fed twice a week, seed pods removed where necessary.

These 3 have just stopped, and there's no sign of any more buds.  Don't think it's a case of them just having the habit of flowering in flushes.  Varieties are La Campanella, Snowcap, and Baby Blue Eyes which is the only one I haven't had before.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Fuschias stopped flowering
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 13:23:33 »
I think you might be over-feeding them.  Twice a week sounds excessive to me and they are probably putting on leaf growth at the expense of flowers.  I'd stop feeding for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 15:51:12 »
Well ..... it's no different from what I've done in previous years; and all the other fuchsias are continuing to flower like crazy.  That's why I can't figure it out.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 17:31:03 »
Very strange.  I assume they have kept their leaves.  Two of the biggest bugbears for fuchsia growers are red spider mite and rust.  Not to mention the other bug - vine weevil.

The rust and rsm, tend to make them drop their leaves.  The vine weevil causes them to keel over completely.

It's probably just been too hot for them. Are they in a position whereby they get more direct sunlight than the other containers?

Bit of a mystery!!

valmarg

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 18:19:22 »
Nope, they're all in the same area.  These three have no sign of any pest or disease, plenty of healthy leaves and are still growing vigorously.  Just packed up in the flowers department!

???

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 22:36:38 »
Well, as I said, a bit of a mystery.

Just must be having a bit of a hissy fit.

These things in life are just sent to try us!!

Hope they start flowering again soon.

valmarg

veggie perin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 00:12:09 »
Hi 'Grey',
You didn't say whether you are growing your fuchsias inside or out ?, if it's inside,
I would suggest that it may have been to warm or exposed too long to bright sunlight, fuchsias actually grow far better outside in a semi shaded spot, If one of your varieties had stopped flowering I would have put it down to it just having had it's main flush, but to have all three by at once seems rather strange.
  If possible knock the plants out of the container and check the root condition,
if they are whitish they are fine, if they are brown this is usually down to being burnt by direct sunlight on the pots. placing pots inside a larger pot will help to keep them cooler. over watering will also cause the roots to go brown, if the roots look eaten away then vine weevil will probably be the problem, if this is the case then white grubs with brown heads will be lurking in the compost.
always remove the seedpods as soon as possible as the plant WILL stop flowering when it has achieved it's main purpose in life i.e to reproduce( produce seed). what size of pot are they in?, what type of feed are you using?
try these and let us know how you get on........VEGGIE

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 12:05:29 »
They're outside in a stone urn.  They do get direct sun for part of the day, but so do all the others, and I've had fuchsias in the same place in previous years.

They get a bit of tomato feed whenever I feed the toms, and I do try to police the seed pods regularly.  I have some others (eg Dancing Flame) which have a definite flush habit, but I've never noticed that with Snowcap or La Campanella; they usually flower non-stop.

I'll check the compost for lurking nasties, but the plants look otherwise  healthy.  The only thing they have in common (and different from the other ones) is being in the same container ...

It's not the end of the world, but I like to know why these things happen! :)

Cat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 14:21:24 »
Some of my Fuschias have stopped flowering also  :(

One of them has flowers lower down the plant but nothing on top.  Another is fine and my third one (Basket) has given up altogether.

Cat
Sometimes we just need a helping hand!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 17:11:23 »
Please do check for VINE WEEVIL they are lethal for your Fuschias.

Veggie Perrin will put you right he knows all about the wonderfull plants.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 20:54:22 »
Inspection revealed no sign of any nasties.  :) ???

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 01:09:46 »
Ok here is a tip. To keep your plants in containers flowering well feed with tomato food. The reason for this is tomato food has a high potasium level which promotes flowering in plants.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 13:08:22 »
Yeah, they had plenty of that, but all of a sudden they just stopped producing flowers.  Still not doing anything.  All the others still blooming as normal.

???

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 11:04:23 »
Just as a PS to this:  I cut them right back a while ago, and they have been flowering like mad again for the last few weeks.

Just one of those mysteries.  The others never stopped, and are still going strong too.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 06:27:06 »
i gave mine a good old short back and sides about a month ago, and now have masses of blooms again.

nice.

;D

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 19:36:12 »
I would have thought giving them tomato food would make them flower. but yea twice a week....maybe in the middle of a very hot and wet summer for a couple of weeks...but not at this time of the year. every 2 weeks i would have thought...and then stop feeding them over winter.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 21:27:21 »
That was back in the summer, wahaj.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 08:12:32 »
That was back in the summer, wahaj.

ah i see. does that mean you stopped feeding them after summer ended?

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 11:29:02 »
I stopped after the haircut!   ;D  Sometime in August, I think.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal