Author Topic: Why do people grow courgettes?  (Read 6957 times)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Why do people grow courgettes?
« on: July 30, 2006, 22:16:47 »
I never was that keen on courgettes, but expanding my repertoire this year I decided to grow them. I have 3 plants and at the moment I'm harvesting about 4 courgettes a day, now I have found 20 odd recipes (which I have added to the wiki), but all of them make the courgette the main item and the courgette itself is a tasteless lump. For example, put the sliced courgettes into a baking dish, cover with grated cheese and sprinkle with black pepper, cook in oven for 30 minutes. This actually taste OK, but it is the cheese and pepper that have the taste, the courgette is a waste of space, this dish would be better with potato, at least the potato has a flavour of its own.  The other thing is who wants to eat courgettes every day?  Once a fortnight maybe, so is it worth growing? I don't think so and this year is my first year of growing aubergine, I'm picking 4 a week, they must be first cousin to the courgette.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Why do people grow courgettes?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 22:21:59 »
I have them with my fry-up breakies, my wife goes arrgh! ::) when she see me do this but I quite like them fried with a sprinkle of mixed herbs. ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 22:34:55 »
Dieter's friend, courgettes ;)

4 aubies a week, Mike? Oh, I wish !!!

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 22:53:15 »
*lol at the thought of growing something that you were 'never that keen on'*

Hello Mike: before you behead your courgettes as good for nothing, have you tried harvesting them very young? With the flowers still on them, four inches or so long...

Like many young veg they have the most flavour at that stage (and yes, courgettes do have a flavour of their own!)  - they're so tender that they steam or boil in a minute. I eat them raw when they're as young as that. If you still don't like them, then it's just that you don't like courgettes -- just think of all that space you'll have next year to grow things you love!   

Do you really think they have no flavour? I'm gobsmacked! I demolished some left over from the kids' supper (Mr Triffid's idea of portion control is two helpings of everything for everyone at the table!  ;D)  and they were delicious and so sweet. (variety = Tosca)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 22:59:32 »
We had two, sliced up and shallow fried in olive oil, to accompany our cottage pie. Even my daughter went back for seconds, I had to fight her for the remaining courgettes (we shared them).
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 23:09:24 »
and deep fried, tempura style: the lovely crispy batter on the outside and the melting innards with just a hint of resistance as you bite through the skin.... ;D ;) ;D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 23:09:50 »
*lol at the thought of growing something that you were 'never that keen on'*

OH said she liked them, until they appeared everyday.

them very young? With the flowers still on them, four inches or so long...

Like many young veg they have the most flavour at that stage (and yes, courgettes do have a flavour of their own!)  - they're so tender that they steam or boil in a minute. 

Do you really think they have no flavour?

Yes I think they are tasteless, variety - defender, as recommended by A4A members at the beginning of the year.

We had two, sliced up and shallow fried in olive oil, to accompany our cottage pie. Even my daughter went back for seconds, I had to fight her for the remaining courgettes (we shared them).

So, cottage pie every night? The point is you don't always want a meal that courgettes go with every night of the week. :D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 23:17:55 »
and deep fried, tempura style: the lovely crispy batter on the outside and the melting innards with just a hint of resistance as you bite through the skin.... ;D ;) ;D

It was the oil that gave it the flavour, a combination of vegetable and sesame oil :D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 23:28:34 »
Reminds me, last year, just as a friend's plants were just starting produce, he had the first 2 stolen from his lottie - another week and he was trying hard (and unsuccessfully) to give them away  ;D

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 23:31:30 »
Flavour maybe, but for me the winner is the texture contrasts between the crisp batter and ...... melting courgette! ;D

triffid

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 23:33:48 »
Ooooh yum *tempura courgettes and dipping sauce*

*crawls away drooling*
 :P

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 23:39:27 »
Flavour maybe, but for me the winner is the texture contrasts between the crisp batter and ...... melting courgette! ;D

mega drool!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 23:40:49 »
My family so like to eat my courgettes stuffed with a savoury minced meat recipe I do,  I've been press-ganged into to providing a platter of them at the annual Clan gathering next month 8)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 06:42:20 »
Mike - aubs - you think that they have a taste?? Woolly oil sponges!!

But when did you sow to be eating them now?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 07:47:25 »
My family all love courgettes. They're extremely versatile and can be used raw or cooked. I would say if you don't like them don't grow them. I don't grow celery for that very reason. Too many diets in the past I guess. ;D ;D ;D

Come to think of it I don't eat much cottage cheese these days either! ;D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 08:33:15 »

But when did you sow to be eating them now?

5th March, variety - Nada, according to my notes I sowed a 2nd batch on the 18th, so maybe the first lot died.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 08:50:14 »
To be fair, one of the most wonderful things I have found about having an allotment, is to be able to grow a whole range of vegetables (and fruit) that I have never had before, including varieties that never appear in the shops or markets for various reasons. Staying on the topic of courgettes, I have found through trial and error that my favourite are Jemmer - a yellow fruit with a touch of sweetness and there is definitely flavour there. I do accept Mike's inference though, that courgettes may not be to everyone's taste, like grawrc, I have the same dislike of celery.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 09:00:53 »
Aaah, thanks Mike - ours were 26/3.

Taste - adore Celery but French Beans? - just mouth-feel!

triffid

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 09:03:31 »
Just goes to show how different people's palates are, Tim: my Purple Teepee French beans were one of last year's lottie delights!

I must make note about Jemmer, Curry -- was wondering about growing a yellow courgette next year. Thanks for the recommendation!  :)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 09:12:08 »
There are many varieties of yellow courgette, triffid, but Jemmer is the only one I have tried. If you can get any spare seed from neighbours, then you may wish to compare, although most gardeners agree that too many courgette plants can be a real embarrassment, and leads to losing friends rapidly  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal