Author Topic: to make wine  (Read 2551 times)

gsewell

• Not So New ...
to make wine
« on: July 30, 2006, 14:17:23 »
sorry to be such a n00b but I am thinking about making some wine (not sure what sort but maybe grape) what sort of equipment would I need for this?

heeby

• Not So New ...
Re: to make wine
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 21:41:53 »
for kit wines a demi john or 2 a bung an air lock and some bottles and syphon pipe if you want to make your own wines a plastic buket for primary ferment and a hydrometer would be handy bbut then again i could make a list a mile long.
mark

gsewell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 22:08:56 »
cheers mark, firstly yes I would like to make my own if its possible, I have searched on wine kits and its come back with "just add water" and I dont see the sense of acheivement in that.
Also I have a hydrometer for checking the salinity on my aquarium is it the same thing needed here? I also have a refractometer that does the same just its easier and costs alot more!

Any GOOD links to a site that might do a step by step or something would be muchly appreciated.
Gav

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 00:13:44 »
I'm getting all revved up to try winemaking myself, having found this site http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/WINE1.HTML

Proper practical advice from someone who's definitely a wine wizard!

heeby

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 13:51:56 »
thats amazing i found that site yesterday also but i find a lot more info on this one
http://www.winesathome.net/forum/index.php a very helpful bunch almost as friendly as A4A
also the hydrometer you use for your fish tank probably works on the same principal but the one i have for home brew as specific markings ffor wine and no fishy smell so id get a new one they dont cost much on ebay
mark

gsewell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 15:50:58 »
cheers guys...noted... and appreciated!!!

Gav

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 20:47:02 »
I went through a massive wine making phase a couple of years ago, a site I found very usefull was

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Loads of recepies for different fruits and veggies as well as usefull information.

Well worth a look.

Helen

bunjy

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 15:12:55 »
oooo im hoping to make some wine too....i remember my mom making it when we were younger all you could here from the room was glug glug of the air bubbles !

i'll be looking on those sites ty

tracy

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 18:38:45 »
Don't get telling them any more secrets trace
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"