Author Topic: Butternut in the greenhouse!!  (Read 1663 times)

Bel

• Not So New ...
Butternut in the greenhouse!!
« on: July 29, 2006, 12:42:03 »

My first year with me plot.....and learning to be more organised!!

I thought they we my cues (don't know what happend to them....the last I saw of them was when I planted them lol)

anyway my question is...will they manage in a pot in the greenhouse? the first fruit is set...I have some outside as well and haven't seen any sign of lil nuts!!....should I plant them out??

Please help!!

B
Not much matters....and nothing matters much!!!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: Butternut in the greenhouse!!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 10:52:50 »
I grew one a few years ago in the conservatory. It grew fruits without any apparent pollination as there were no male flowers!

It was sown very early, and by the time the frosts had passed, the thing was taking over so I had to leave it inside.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 09:13:53 »
I grew some in the greenhouse a few years back and they were prolific.  They took over everything though and there was hardly room to walk.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 22:22:17 »
A friend on our Allotments ahs hers outside and it has set three, mine is in the poly but went in late and hasn't flowered yet!
 ;D

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 10:20:26 »
We're growing them in a polytunnel too and have to keep moving them as they tend to take over and entangle themselves into anything close.

Have one large fruit and a few small setting on the earliest planted but nothing yet on the ones that went in a week or 2 later.
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal