Author Topic: Bird Table Takeover  (Read 1454 times)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
Bird Table Takeover
« on: July 17, 2006, 12:02:17 »
Lovely big bird table in the new garden, with two hanging peanut feeders. It's been totally taken over by Great Tits! Poor sparrows hang around at the base waiting for bits, and I haven't seen a Robin up there since day one. The Great Tits are lovely, and I know they love nuts, but they obviously are not allowing any else at 'their' food supply!

CLx

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Bird Table Takeover
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 13:40:08 »
I am so glad you have a huge B.Table.  Its strange how some birds seem to dominate the garden.  At present I am dominated by the blackbirds cos of the amount of breeding pairs roundabout me, and strangely enough the other bird i see a lot of is several yellowhammers.  I know the resident pair were breeding and now the whole lot come to me.   No sign of Robin either in a while, no blue tits or even Great Tits.  Think they are now sculking about renewing their feathers.  I note there seems to be loads of blackbird feathers lying around so I presume the summer moult is on.

I am pleased to hear you have settled into your new house. 

:D :D

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 12:32:59 »
Had to change the food a couple of days ago to those little seed balls (no nuts at local shop). Since then have spotted Robins and a couple of sparrows....(always have the loose seed out as well).

Maybe have to get more varieties of food in future..

CLX

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 20:24:46 »
Its all change again my way CL.  Now the blackbirds have gone more or less I am now inundated with house sparrows.  I am really quite pleased to see them, still ahve the yellowhammers and spotted an immature Robin this morning.  I dont need so many raisons now until the winter for the blackbirds.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 23:48:04 »
Carol, I' m still waiting for my yellowhammers on the table!
We saw a Hawk today in a quiet country lane, that was lovely.

Birds 'fatballs' all gone. OH gets cross so will have to buy more on the sly.....

CLx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal