Author Topic: Not technically WILDlife  (Read 1388 times)

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
Not technically WILDlife
« on: July 27, 2006, 15:25:15 »
Look who I saw on my front garden last night....

Obviously a pet (I don't think wild ones usually come in black and white...) who has been let loose - I've seen him/her a few times and have put food and water out to see if I can get him to come back to the house.  As he's been out for a good week now I think I should try and capture him and keep him safe in my back garden until we can find out who he belongs to (although I think they don't care because I'm sure they know he's missing by now).  Any suggestion for how I could do this?  I'm a bit worried about trying to get hold of him because if he gets scared and bolts he will just run straight into the road which is quite busy, but I know that he is living a dangerous life already as he obviously doesn't have road sense, being a rabbit and all.  He's so cute, I just want him to be safe. :-\
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Not technically WILDlife
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 15:36:31 »
Hello Sally.  I have no experience of catching stray bunnies but you could try a humane rabbit trap?  You might be able to borrow one from a local wildlife sanctuary or the PDSA?  In fact, I'd be inclined to ring the PDSA or RSPCA and ask for their advice.  And try not to worry, if he's been out for more than a week then he's obviously got a survival instinct.  I assume you've already put up 'found' notices on lampposts etc?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 15:46:55 »
Hi Georgie - That's great!  I never knew there was such a thing as a 'humane rabbit trap' (my mind is conjuring up ridiculous images of a huge pair of mechanical hands wrapped in cotton wool!  ??? ;D).  I had tried to ring the animal welfare numbers in the yellow pages but none were available at that time of night (not v.useful).  I know there is a welfare centre not too far away so I could pop down there and ask what they suggest.  I had also thought about putting notes through the doors of the neighbours but as he's not technically "found" I decided not to.  I didn't think putting "found spotted - random rabbit, currently roaming the street" would be much use!  Will deffo do it if I manage to catch him.  Thanks for the ideas!!   ;)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 16:04:11 »
I remember very well when I was a kid and my pet rabbit Henrietta escaped from her hutch and decide to head up the road.

We caught her by putting a light blanket over her to stop her, then I scopped her up and delivered her back to her home..

Worked for Henrietta,

CLx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal