Author Topic: snakes alive!  (Read 3205 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
snakes alive!
« on: March 29, 2004, 12:59:42 »
Why oh why do I see things of interest at the allotment when I don't have my camera!?!

On the end of my new patch there is a heap of old mouldering carpet, and I thought today, during a break from digging, I would start to bag it up to take it to the dump.  Lifted top layer and a nice long snake way laying there looking up at me.  Not frightened of snakes so had a good long look, decided it might be a grass snake, but it could have been a slow worm.  Just googled it and now I don't know!  Actually, when I moved more of the carpet there was snake, his friends, family, inlaws, and passerbys!  Never seen so many in one place.  They were all different shades of tan and brown with no definate makings, so me thinks slow worms.  I will take camera back tomorrow and have another look and see if I can get some pics.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:snakes alive!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 13:09:52 »
Wow - cool!

I hope you put the carpet back again and let them go back to sleep!
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 13:20:20 »
I did, they were suprisingly lively but then I guess the carpet was lovely and snug.

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 15:29:58 »
Hey, lucky you EJ !! Take some home for the garden, 'cos they just love slugs !!  ;D
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 18:33:57 »
They do.  Cool!  Now I am worried about the old chaps slug pellet pile!  I have looked and looked and am quietly confident they are slow worms as they were super smooth and had no noticable patterns on their skin.

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 12:40:03 »
They certainly sound like slow worms, you are a lucky bunny!

jammy  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 13:26:27 »
Well, had another little look and they seem to have gone, well, from the top layer anyhow.  I described them to my gramps and he did say they could have been smooth snakes.  As they were so silky and almost fluid like he said it did sound like them, but they are very rare, so more than likely slow worms.  I love snakes and wrigglies - think they are dead cute!  ;D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 14:03:00 »
shame I am not `digital`-and would not know how to send anyway but I have a pic of a grass snake sunbathing in the pond.

Not quite as scarey as when I went into the polytunnel three years back and disturbed an adder sniffing out my tomato plants :)

Stephan.

DarkSkies

• Not So New ...
  • Sunderland born n bred.  Sadly living in Surrey.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 15:47:39 »
They certainly sound like slow worms, you are a lucky bunny!

jammy  ;D

I saw a slow worm on my allotment a couple of weeks ago, it was a reddy brown and creme colour and the thickness of a thumb.  It was about 30cm long.  Picked up a clod of couch grass and there is was looking at me.  Got the shock of me life.  Twas only later that day me dad told me it was probably a slow worm, I thought it was a snake.  :o

Still they do like slugs supposedly.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 18:05:15 »
Cooooohhhhr!  You lucky peeps!

But remember the slow-worm and the smooth snakes are protected?  http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/facts/reptile.htm

All best - Gavin

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal