Author Topic: RAIN - PLEASE!  (Read 10071 times)

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: RAIN - PLEASE!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 22:18:48 »
All this government has got to do, is the same as they did in 1976, and appoint a Minister for Drought.

Within days of his appointment, the heavens opened.  I can remember the prediction that it would take three years to fill the reservoirs.  If memory serves, it took about three months!!

Plus sa change, plus le meme chose!!

valmarg

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 23:29:26 »
The pitter patter of rain drips woke me at 4am this morning and get me scurrying out to the washing line to bring in No2's final school shirt of the year ::)

Coming home, the car told me it was 35 oC outside.  OH suggested we go out to eat, which got me thinking - let's go to the boat, have BBQ and a swim.  Then boys wanted to bring friends, who are moving to Norfolk, most likely never to be seen again...........so by the time I had collected various offspring and provisions from Tesco's, it was close to 6.30pm, the blue sky has disappeared and it's looking stormy and I'm feeling frazzled.

On the way, the skys opened - everyone in the back of the car is in various stages of disappointment (no BBQ/swimming) and I'm thinking, Yippee the plants will live another day :D

3 mins later - it's all over and the pavements are dry............but it had cooled down - only
30 oC

So here I am again, hot and sleep deprived...........I'm a woman on the edge and the summer hols have only just begun and the toms still need watering   ::) ::)

Much excitement from Isleworth - I hear thunder and see big flashes lightening, just waiting for the rain to catch up!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 00:03:50 by SMP1704 »

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 08:48:20 »
It looks like we will have some rain here in Birmingham today thank goodness
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 08:56:23 »
Still a woman in waiting............................in Wakering   :-\
Smile, it confuses people.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 09:33:16 »
They're forecasting thuinderstorms for Birmingham today. Hopefully they will turn out to be a bit more than just the latest projected date for the Second Coming!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 09:46:58 »
Had a few showers this morning just down the road in Coventry. Only enough to dampen your shirt though ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 10:08:52 »
BIG storm about 4 this morning and everything is wet - feels much fresher
hope that you people get some of this soon 8)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2006, 17:20:34 »
At last, we had rain, in fact a good thunderstorm with lashing rain (last evening) my porch at the back of the bungalow and part of the garden was flooded. The dog had her legs crossed but would not go through the water,(stupid mutt) I even put on a coat and ran through the water to try and entice her out to the lawn.(??come to think of it who was the stupid one?)
Pleased that the garden has had a good soaking and I can hear thunder at the moment in the distance so perhaps we will get more this evening. It still remains very muggy but not as uncomfortable as the pasty week.
Lorna

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2006, 17:52:33 »
At last - it's raining, it pouring. 

It's been raining heavily for the last 20 mins and hopefully it will last a while longer - the storm is still overhead.

I have never been that excited about rain before ;D ;D

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2006, 17:53:32 »
Its here too and i'm pleased as I don't have to go to the allotment to water and also its at the end of the day so children haven't been bored, instead they been out playing in it which I don't mind at this time.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 19:39:34 »
Not a rumble of thunder, not a drop of rain.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 19:43:01 »
Hate to be the fly in the ointment , but can we please put off the rain dances until Sunday  :-\ Im having a bit of a do/garden party on Saturday and the forcast is (after over 5 weeks without it) rain   >:(   Sorry folks  ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2006, 19:49:12 »
rain here too, enough to top the barrels up

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 20:25:39 »
Still raining ;D at a good steady pace so that it soaks into the ground.  Can't wait to see what all this moisure has done for the pumpkins, squash and sweetcorn.  On the downside the evil weed, Horsetail will be rampant ::)

This storm has brought chaos on the roads.  Needed to take no2 son's friend home - usually a 10 min round trip.  This pm it took 35 mins just to get there.

OH is nightshift driving, just phoned him - all the night shift are still waiting for the day shift to bring the lorries back to the depot - there could be empty shelves in Tesco's tomorrow.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2006, 21:19:43 »
Hooray!
Downpour started here at 5.45pm, finished now, but looks like more might come! have collected every drop I can in buckets, troughs, butts etc.
And it feels cool for a change - lovely!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2006, 22:05:21 »
Still waiting here  :'( :'( Nothing, nada, nought, rien, not a flippin drop! >:(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2006, 22:41:45 »
Nor here (of course). Headachey humid horrid-- ho well, I'm going to bed, perchance to dream.  Yeah right.......... ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006, 23:39:19 »
DP You will get rain in next 24hours .I have done a big rain dance for you. Don't want all those lovely green areas turning brown.
Lorna

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2006, 14:54:57 »
According to metcheck it's raining here now ...

I have just been out to the garden to check, hmmm I think somebody need to explain this to the lovely fluffy clouds !

Please can somebody do a rain dance for me.

Helen

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2006, 15:09:04 »
Tinkie B With pleasure but it may have to be a steady waltz and not a quick step, my poor OLD legs are beginning to ache with all this dancing ::)
Lorna

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal