Author Topic: Seed beds  (Read 2393 times)

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
Seed beds
« on: March 28, 2004, 16:50:53 »
Hi all, there may be an obvious answer to this question, but I can't find it!
Why the need for seperate seed beds? Looking at the instructions on my Kohl rabbi seeds, it says to plant in a seed bed, the transplant when big enough...
I wondered if they could be sown where they're to be harvested from, and if that could apply to other plants that require a seperate seed bed.

All replies welcome!
james :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:Seed beds
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 18:27:51 »
The main point of a seed bed is free up space in the plot proper. Also you get to choose the healthy plants for moving. I sow KR like I sow radish and thin later. That is; sow where they grow. (Or start them in seed trays.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 18:28:14 by kenkew »

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 19:23:45 »
I agree

Stephan.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 19:42:42 »
I have sown some in modules, which I planted out yesterday, and I plan to sow a row direct and thin.  Hope I like it, this is one veggie I have never tried  :o, but it looks soooo pretty!

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 10:56:10 »
Thanks all, your help is, as always, much appreciated!  ;D

jams

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 11:10:53 »
I also thought seed beds were supposed to be extra fine and well drained soil that you keep specially for helping the youngsters along.

Personally I never bother - I always start things in pots or modules as my soil is far too heavy.
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 11:57:31 »
- and don't forget - after you've fluffed up a wonderful seed bed - horror of horrors - tread it down, and water well before sowing. . = Tim

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 20:27:36 »
The trouble with a carefully prepared seed bed is that there is always a neighbouring cat who gets to use it before you do, or (even worse) immediately afterwards.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 20:39:28 »
SO? ALWAYS cover immediately with a 'guard' of Twilweld. We've had our 24"x18" bits for 20+ years. Or fleece. of course. = Tim
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 20:41:26 by tim »

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 09:14:05 »
Hugh - I keep all my woody prunings in a pile by the compost heap and then scatter them fairly thickly over any bare soil (i mean not so it's all totally covered - just enough so it doesn't look inviting to a cat!). It also helps remind me that I have actually sown something there. (labels? what are they?!)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 09:14:48 by aquilegia »
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2004, 12:48:17 »
Tim, I have come to the decision that you either invented fleece or are being paid commission by fleece manufacturers!  ;)  Is there anything fleece can't be used for?  ;D

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 21:55:24 »
My husband built me 3 raised seed beds in the narrow bit that runs down the side of the house.  Just two gravel boards high and 3 ft by 3ft.  I sectioned them off with string so that each has 9 square feet (I'd just read a book on square foot gardening).  I filled them with good compost and they are never empty.  I grow annuals and veg ready for moving on into permanent positions and keep a section spare for popping in cuttings in. In summer I sow my biennials and they overwinter in there ready for planting out in spring.  I've always got something ready to fill in a gap.  They're so useful and I wouldn't be without them.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal