Author Topic: Tomatos grown in the greenhouse soil  (Read 2000 times)

Woodpecker

• Not So New ...
Tomatos grown in the greenhouse soil
« on: July 20, 2006, 13:56:15 »
I am very new to allotments and have planted my toms straight into the soil as it seemed a way of not having to be too regular with watering (sometimes I can only get there 2 days a week).

All is ok and the system seems to work well even in this hot weather and the soil retains a lot of moisture. However, in future years should I remove/change the soil before planting again - if so how deep should I go?

Does anyone have any variations on this theme to avoid moving loads of soil each year. I considered a large bottomless tub in the future to keep the roots largely above the soil but allow moisture to be drawn up.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Tomatos grown in the greenhouse soil
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 16:30:37 »
I grow in the greenhouse border because I am not faced with the problem you mention.

This is because I have three greenhouses so I can practice 'crop rotation' and have adopted a three year cycle.

As you can see in picture one I have split my long greenhouse into 6 beds two of which you can see here.

In picture two this greenhouse has a concrete floor so I use the ring culture method.

In picture three it is just one continuous 'U' shaped bed.

I would suggest if you have only one traditional greenhouse you grow tomatoes on one side one year with something like peppers on the other side.

The following year you could reverse this.

In the third year dig the first foot of soil out and replace with  humus enriched soil from somewhere out of the garden ( fill the resulting hole with what you take out of the greenhouse).

The alternative is remove soil annually.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 17:46:03 »
As long as you rotate and you should be OK outside..
 ;D

Woodpecker

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 09:56:23 »
Thanks for the response - I never thought of rotation in a greenhouse but I can do it as I a have a second greenhouse to install before the end of the year - that solution was just too obvious for me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal