Author Topic: It's tooooo darned hot!  (Read 8626 times)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: It's tooooo darned hot!
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2006, 16:35:27 »
Startred a list for Tatton Park or Thursday - Verbascum, buddlia, echinops.  Now thrown it away and list reads - hydration pack (2litres) sun block, wet ones, sun hat, alarm set for 2hrs to redo sun block or go sit in car with air con running.

No fun in this weather for us redheaded pale Scots types who can get sunstroke from a 100watt bulb.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2006, 14:16:51 »
Far too hot for me. I like the warm and sun but this is just too much!  I like to be active and busy (especialy in the garden) but these days I have to stay under cover during the day and not venture outside until about 5pm! (then stay out until dark).  Fortunately my work is flexible enough to allow this. Currently though I am taking some time off to watch the Tour de France on Eurosport, so with it hot out there I am not missing much by staying indoors!

My poor plants are suffering though. The tomatoes have to be watered twice a a day (if I can manage it), they usualy get watered once a day but if left all day they look very sorry for themselves  by the evening.  I also have plenty of young plants about that need plenty of attention too. One problem I have though is that my existing salad crops (lettuce especialy) are starting to go over. I have started some more of but off course its too hot for lettuce seed to germinate  and the young plants I got going before the heatwave are suffering badly for it (despite watering). Looks like (as usual) I will go from glut to drought, and run out before more are ready to crop. AND I LIKE MY SALADS AT THIS TIME OF YEAR! arrghh!

I think most of my gardening activities at the moment consist of watering and more watering plus a bit of dead heading and potting on young plants here and there. I know that there isnt much else to do in the garden at this time of year, but its getting bit boring!

Bad news on the weather fromt is that whilst it will get  abirt cooler, the humidity will rise (negating any benefit of a drop in temperature), and things wont really get any more comfortable. There was a forecast of storms to clear the air but I dont thing they will be coming to much in the end.

SIGH! Summer eh? And they say this will be come the norm over the next few years. God help us!

Daisy_Jane

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2006, 16:16:42 »
It's 33 degrees in the office at the moment (and rising). Horrible!

Fortunately my work is flexible enough to allow this. Currently though I am taking some time off to watch the Tour de France on Eurosport,

Garden Cadet, I am very envious; I am restricted to watching ITV3/4 and yesterday after watering the lottie etc didn't get home 'till 7.45 so missed the most exciting day of the tour  :o  Must set the video tonight ......

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2006, 16:45:03 »
It's 33 degrees in the office at the moment (and rising). Horrible!

Fortunately my work is flexible enough to allow this. Currently though I am taking some time off to watch the Tour de France on Eurosport,

Garden Cadet, I am very envious; I am restricted to watching ITV3/4 and yesterday after watering the lottie etc didn't get home 'till 7.45 so missed the most exciting day of the tour  :o  Must set the video tonight ......

Dont miss it! Cracking stuff today!

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2006, 18:43:45 »
Had a lovely afternoon yesterday - OH and  took Lurcher and guest Labrador down to the River Wylye where we all went swimming. Today it was 35 degrees here. OH's 80 year old aunt came for lunch with his bro and sis-in-law. All lovely until Auntie got a touch of heat-stroke. Lots of ice in towel (back of the neck and forehead), plus water instead of G&T did the trick!

Tomorrow I'm off to friends' who have a pool...OH is turning green!

CLx

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2006, 20:36:10 »
Well that's the end of my summer hollibobs !  bin off since Friday and have loved every minute dawn to dusk out the back.  I've shaded and reshaded the greenhouses, have watered everything about a million times, have created some staging in the new g/h so had to rehouse the strawberry pot.  have even worked out a shading system for the mini-g/h.  i've washed the windows inside and out, have sown some alstromeria and some more beetroot.  my back is a really disgusting shade of dirty brown but the rest of me is a nice shade of two weeks on the med golden!

back to work tomorrow  :'( :'(
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2006, 21:06:31 »
Just got back in, had to paint and re felt gramps-in-law shed, just before I went out the temp in the shade was 34.8 degrees, I think it must be the heat making me mad to do these jobs...still I'm sure the dizziness will wear off soon!!!!

Thunder clouds are brewing, hope it clears the air tonight.

Matt   8)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2006, 21:58:43 »
Well, this afternoon came over quite grey, and there has been a light breeze.  I reakon a storms a-brewing in this part of Essex.  Had a look on metcheck (which I know we take with a pinch of salt) and it forecasts rain from 9pm until dawn....well 9pm has come and gone and it is still dry, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for some rain.  My poor poor garden is looking really really wilted now! :'(

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2006, 22:29:55 »
It is half past eleven nighttime and it is still 28 celsius,i think i make myself comfertable and sleep outsibe in the garden under the party ternt and stars of course,inside the house it is to hot

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2006, 22:49:47 »
So far not a drop, despite massive thunderclouds building this afternoon. The stream at the bottom of the plot is mysteriously running again. It's been totally dry for a couple of weeks, while a second stream which joins it at the bottom of the site has ben down to a trickle. That one's still trickling the same as yesterday, but my stream is running at its normal winter level. Unless a major watermain has burst somewhere, I can't explain it at all.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2006, 09:43:40 »
The clouds built up and threatened a storm yesterday evening here, but apart from a couple of heavy but breif showers nothing materialised. The rain that did fall merely cooled things down a little. It did not do the garden any good at all, i still had to water!

For a while it did feel a bit fresher and was perhaps a cooler night than the one before, but this morning it is getting hot and sticky very quickly.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2006, 13:20:47 »
Apparently the temperature here in Birmingham reached 35 Centigrade yesterday. Lasty night was horrible; we couldn't sleep at all. It was better first thing this morning, and it did rain a bit last night, but it's pretty stifling again today.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2006, 14:07:26 »
Some rain last night - even the sound was lovely. Not much to show for it this morning though except damp garden cushions!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2006, 21:35:51 »
 In sunny Brum :o Minimum temps in our bedroom last night were 20ºC (68ºF) :o we had the ceiling fan on all night (I know we shouldn't but eh!) :P I think our house is a little too well insulated. ::) 8)

pete10

• Half Acre
Re: It's too darned hot!
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2006, 21:46:05 »

Well shocking this heat is seems no let up ,Rain Saturday fingers crossed ,Had a small bit last night
 but not enough . :(

The Thames Valley  is roasting  :P

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2006, 09:30:08 »
In sunny Brum :o Minimum temps in our bedroom last night were 20ºC (68ºF) :o we had the ceiling fan on all night (I know we shouldn't but eh!) :P I think our house is a little too well insulated. ::) 8)

Shouldn't worry, we have a fan on all night every night.  As a ground floor flat we can't open the french doors and huge sash windows while sleeping so would rather have the fan on with windows locked open 3" and the bedroom french doors on chains than roast and wake up feeling awful! I am thinking of putting the fan on a timer so that it's off while we're asleep as I do worry that we'll wake up to even hotter flames!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal