Author Topic: It's tooooo darned hot!  (Read 8624 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
It's tooooo darned hot!
« on: July 16, 2006, 23:42:43 »
and going to get hotter, apparently?

My decision's been made. No way is this Englishwoman gonna work in the noonday sun in someone else's garden tomorrow. Already feel as though I'm playing hookey from school, but it's going to be a killer out there.

Noticed that flying ants are starting to appear, black fly's everywhere and no sight of ladybirds. Keeping extra water dishes for the birds in the borders, please can you do the same?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: It's tooooo darned hot!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 23:59:14 »
Ooooh Lish, I am working the next 3 days and think I am going to frazzle! 

Tempers are short here thanks to the heat, I have just been told off by the old man!  >:(

I am going to bed, to quietly swelter whilst he snores.

The joys of summer!  ;)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 00:02:24 »
I'm going to suggest that I go to cut the hedges about 6.30 tomorrow evening - so not quite hookey!

Sleep well, EJ ::)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 06:41:24 »
Too hot last night for good sleep!

Now, back to the watering!!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 07:15:29 »
I've been lucky enough to have three absolutely gorgeous days off with hot hot sun and little wind.  I've got the best tan i've had in years and I never have problems getting off to sleep (i could fall asleep on a log, but always wake up at 6am without the aid of an alarm clock).

hopefully got more of the same for the next two days cos we've got a long holiday weekend up here and i made it a bit longer !

get it round yees !
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 07:36:50 »
Too hot outside for me - I used to be a sun worshipper but I don't enjoy it so much now.  92 degrees here by middle of week but thankfully my office is shaded for most of the day so it's actually quite nice at work!!! 

Holiday in Majorca coming up next week - strange how I don't mind the heat there - I suppose when there is the sea and a nice pool to just cool off in when you like it's much bearable.  Although this week I think we are hotter here than in the Med.

Slap on the sunscreen everyone and enjoy.
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 08:03:44 »
Flying ant were everywhere round here yesterday. It's much too hot to do anything in the garden; I couldn't agree more!

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 09:20:26 »
Have got what used to be a huge lump at the end of my lottie inherited it from the previous neighbour. Obviously been weeds rubbish etc. Covered it with carpet and now is wonderful compost. Have used half went to put some round my tomatoes yesterday and it is home to thousands of what looks like flying ants and their grubs.
Should I :
Pull carpet back and let the sun get to them.
Keep it covered in the hope they will find a new place or do you think they have settled for the winter.
I really don't want to be there when they swarm but I don't want anyone else to cop them either.....Help
Marigold

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 10:13:37 »
It IS too hot!

Had a lovely lazy day yesterday with Lurcher. OH went off to collect his boat and do various trips but Lurcher and I thought it was all a bit too far. We did miss out though as OH and visiting Labrador went river swimming - we were envious!

Gardening is strictly 'tropical hours' now!

Keep cool,

CLx

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 11:24:03 »
Overdid it at the allotment yesterday and suffering for it today.  Despite my protection of hat, sunglasses and sunbloc, think I am suffering from sun stroke today.  Had a horrible night, and lay in bed with a cold wet flannel over my face.  They said it would be 28% today here - Urgh!! The chairman cornered me yesterday trying to get volunteers for today, he wanted people to help him restock the Society Shed  with compost and fertilisers and wants people to carry stuff and weigh stuff out.  Can you imagine what it will be like doing that today?  I have decided to just have a quiet day at home, keeping out of the sun.  :-[  (sunburn)    busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 11:41:09 »
You take it easy today Busy Lizzie! Sounds like sunstroke and that can be HORRIBLE! Stay quiet, out of the sun, and drink lots of liquids...That's an ORDER!

CLx

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
  • There are those who call me... Pete
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 11:45:22 »
it is home to thousands of what looks like flying ants and their grubs.
I really don't want to be there when they swarm but I don't want anyone else to cop them either.....Help

Sounds like you have a nest in there with loads of fliers not quite mature - they en't going anywhere, and will definitely swarm soon if you leave them. Solution is simple: remove carpet, quickly fork through to turn the nest inside out, then stand back and let the robins and blackbirds feast. :)

Hope this helps,
Pete

PS: water for birds - nice thought Lishka. Sadly not going to happen on my allotment as I'm sure it's a lot easier for them to fly 50 yards to the millpond than for me to carry yet more water from it  :P

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 12:04:36 »
i am going to out some water out for the birds right now.  i wont go anywhere near the allotment today until the sun has gone down and then i might go and water.  might go for a swim then aswell.  be careful out there people.  :)

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 12:08:52 »
I went crayfish fishing (for tea) and swimming in the Kennet yesterday - very nice. My tomatoes had to fend for themselve as i just could'nt be arsed watering last night..

Its too hot to work today...forgot to come in and switch the Air con on in the office last night - again.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 12:09:59 »
Last Monday, I was visiting a blacksmith who is doing some work for me in Spain, and it was 44C, outside his big metal shed, I lasted about 10 seconds inside, I've no idea how he coped.

Luckily it got a little cooler as the week went on, or I may have melted, I'm not built for the heat.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 13:05:57 »
 :'(

Bizzie...if it is sunstroke, take paracetamol. Simple, but takes temp down a treat!

Am speaking from bitter experience in Egypt, but that's another tale

;)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 13:43:09 »
The birds really do seem to enjoy  it!

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 14:20:05 »
Was down the plot on saturday, had a break between 1-2 and sat in the shade of the huge buddleia on by boundary line.  Thank god I stopped the site manager from cutting it back to 3ft high (from it's current 18ft). He was most perplexed by my reasoning... ::)

Had a headache for three days now and am sitting at work with the fans going and no breeze from the windows.  We have a rescued budgie with us today - poor little chap is so thirsty and hot, not to mention ruffled from his adventures.

The shower at home's broken, my arms are sticking to the desk, feet are tight and hot... and the bookies are taking bets on it breaching 100F this week.  What's that in centigrade? 35?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 14:24:48 »
Not quite hookey (work ethic too strong) but sun was even stronger and the lady begged me to come home at 12.30 but paid me for the full day - so guess who's cool, happy - and quids in? ;D

Welcome back Dan. Now, what was this blacksmith doing for you then? You travelling around Spain on a donkey, or wot?

Like KP, high temps don't interrupt my sleep - unlike KP I don't wake up at 6. Wish I did. Lots to do outside & would be nice to get the leeks out of their pots & into the ground. And is it too hot to sow lettuce, btw? Don't they need cooler temps for successful germination?

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 14:53:41 »

The shower at home's broken, my arms are sticking to the desk, feet are tight and hot... and the bookies are taking bets on it breaching 100F this week.  What's that in centigrade? 35?

It's just under 38 degrees centigrade - or to put it in laymans terms, too bloody hot! Watching tv last night I saw a frozen lake on an advert and actually wished I was sitting on the ice :o

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal