Author Topic: Whts happenin mahn?  (Read 3829 times)

Ozzy aka Pothead

Whts happenin mahn?
« on: March 27, 2004, 10:07:52 »
Yo peeps

where does I start?  aint go the foggiest but to cut a long long long long story short... I have been downloading from kazaar again and yesterday evening this data file popped up in me shared file.... I tried to scan wiv norton but could not because norton said i did not have permission?  and now me puter keeps soing strange things like rebooting or debugging everything in sight?

its a real pain and have tried to track the file down but now it seems to have disapeared?  maybe I should delete me temp internet files?  i dunno this has stumped me....... fat lot of good norton is?

any help really appreciated meanwhiloe i will go back to tinkering with things I know nothing about......  ::)

Oz

xxxx

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re:Whts happenin mahn?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 13:20:04 »
Hi Ozzy - hate to say it, but kazaa sounds a MUCH, MUCH  more likely source of the problem than Norton.  (Not necessarily the programme itself, but some of the silly bast*rds that think it's fun to muck up other people's computers. Do a Google on "kazaa virus" - scary stuff!)  

But six per cent of all music downloaded
from KaZaA is not music at all, but a virus.

Add to that the real nasty b.....s - who design virus and mal-ware which disable your anti-virus programmes and firewalls.  

A coupla thoughts:-

- Get rid of kazaa
- Have you a firewall - if not download and instal one; a freebie http://www.zonelabs.com/?
- Download and run Ad-Aware from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ - another freebie;
- Download and run Spybot - Search and Destroy from http://security.kolla.de/ - yet another freebie.

- and do a scan with norton again;  (sorry, I don't know Norton well enough - with my anti-v programme, I'd reinstall it, download the latest update, and then scan - but people who Norton better will have better advice).

Good luck, m8 - what a pain.  Hope you get the garbage cleared out!

Gavin
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 13:28:18 by gavin »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 17:30:26 »
I was never happy with my version of Norton. Even with regular up-dates I was still being bugged. I'm told that Kazaa, like other programmes which 'assist' with downloads are also spyware.
First stop in this case is as you suggest, Oz. Delete all your temp internet files. Then install a 'spyware seeking' programme. I run Spy Nuker which tells me which cookies are watching me. I always delete them.
If what you do doesn't work then you may have to resort to deleting all your cookies. OK, it means slower connection to some pages until you visit your regular ones again and possibly loss of auto connection to them. Make a note of your passwords to all your sites then have a good clear out.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 19:38:00 »
In passing - I'm told that XP doesn't need a firewall. Correct?? But it certainly needs a pop-up blocker. = Tim

SueT

• Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 21:38:07 »
Tim I have XP as well but I also have a firewall, and judging by the amount of attempts on my computer I`m very glad I have!
Sue

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 21:41:36 »
You`ve been reading the Microsoft adverts tim.  The so called Firewall on XP is neither use nor ornament and you`d be most unwise to rely on it.

SueT

• Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 22:22:13 »
Oz avoid Kazaa like the plague!!!  >:( >:(
Sue

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2004, 17:15:33 »
Yo peeps

ta very much.... sorted now just few thangs to tweak back and load up.................. just reloaded everything..... thing was doing strange things...  me and me puter clock would be in a different timezone to each other, then script thingy would appear asking me to debug.... debug effing what?  still is sortted.......

dead interesting stuff about kazaar gav... cheers,,, but am keeeping kaazaalite cuz I loves the principle,,,, and reckon the peeps sending the virus ect are more likely to be corporate joes with vested interests in stopping P2P... winmx is always slow for me which is strange cuz others i know dont have that problem,,,,,,,,,,,  so to naughty corporate capitalist virus spreading musiccompany mahn.... u iz naughty but hey everyone has to make a living and it keeps you in work..... hows the family?"  another 400 downloads and this puter will be free... based on the principle i would have paid a least a quid for each trac  and the vid tracks are double bonus... soz peeps on a definate babble here.............

whats peeps perception of a "hacker"?

Oz

xx

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2004, 20:16:00 »
Oooh, Ozzy!  Up to you, mate - but anybody who markets a "firewall" designed to allow access to/from, and money-making by, MY computer unauthorised by ME ain't no principled goodie!

P2P - no probs, I'm with you.  But Kazaa?  And add to Kazaa the parasites?  What an unholy mixture.

All best - Gavin

PS Hacker?  I knew his father!

PPS Ah, but he didn't!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal