Author Topic: Kiwi seedlings  (Read 6234 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Kiwi seedlings
« on: March 26, 2004, 22:28:07 »
I have a dozen kiwi seedlings grown from a supermarket fruit last year.  They have been out all winter, and survived nicely and are now all in bud again.  Now, I know they get pretty big and rampant as my mum has 2 in her garden, so I will only be wanting a couple.  Anyone interested in a baby?  They are only a couple of inches high at the moment, but I should imagine, once the warm weather kicks in they will grow like mad.  Let me know if there is any interest.

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
Re:Kiwi seedlings
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 11:04:20 »
Hi EJ

Definately interested but not sure whether they would transport all this way in one piece.... what do you think?

How did you manage to get them growing and I may have a go at getting some started myself.

Les

PS

The chili seeds have been sown....how long did they take to germinate if you can remember?

:)
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 12:58:20 »
Hiya Les, the Kiwis should be alright, as I said, they are only a couple of inches tall and tough little buggers.  All I did was buy a fruit, cut a slice and smeared it on kitchen paper.  I then left it to dry until all the pulp had gone and the seeds were dry, they were a s*d to get of the paper, so I gave up and layed the kitchen paper on a layer of compost in a tray, covered with compost and watered.  Can't remember how long they took to germinate, but they did and now they are all in pots looking rather lovely.  If you want me to try I will happily post ya some.

As for the chillis, mine seem to be slow compared to others I have spoken to.  Mine take 2, even 3 weeks to appear.  I don't keep them really warm, they are in my conservatory that does get chilly at night.  But they do come through........eventually!  ;D

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 13:43:32 »
No harm in trying.... can I send you some stamps or something to cover postage as I have nothing to swap yet and it all seems a bit one way? ???

Les

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 17:44:30 »
Nah, 'tis cool, you can owe me  ::) ;).  PM me your addy again, I don't tend to keep them, figure privacy and all that, and I will stick some in the post to you.  They are getting leaves now and looking right cute!  :D  They also have good roots so I will be glad to get them out and planted.  Hopefully, young Ava will build my arch up at the lottie one day soon, (in between shed building, cold frame building, compost heap building, pond digging.....) and I will grow a couple up that.  Who knows, with the 'greenhouse' effect, we could be chowing down on fresh home grown kiwis in a year or two.  :D

tina

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 21:50:03 »
Hi E-J

I'm a newbie, and would love to have ago at Kiwis.

I haven't really got anything to swap, being so new,unless you would like a few million onion seeds, given to me by a chap at our lottie site. We planted some earlier this year and I think virtually every one has germinated!

Otherwise I would be happy to cover postage etc.

Let me know!

TTFN

Tina

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 22:48:07 »
PM me your addy Tina and I will bung 'em in the mail.  They are only babies, please bear that in mind, but wow can they get big once they get going!

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 08:42:35 »
Morning EJ.

Have sent you addy.  I will be in touch soon to find out what is best to do with them...

Thanks again EJ

Les

tina

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 19:37:23 »
 :D

Thanks so much, I have sent you my address too. Will let you know how they get on!

Tina

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 22:50:03 »
OKay, will do them at the weekend and post Monday morning first thing (children permitting of course, I blame them for everything) so they don't sit around at the post office over the weekend.  Cool!  I love this spreading happiness milarky!  ;D

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 08:06:44 »
Thanks EJ.

Look forward to their iminent arrival......I told Sophie about them last night and she can't wait to see how they get on...

Mmmmmm fresh kiwi........in a couple of years time, well worth the wait.

take care

les

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 17:45:30 »
Okay, a day later than planned, but your babies are on their way!  Hope they arrive okay, Essex post leaves a lot to be desired!   >:( Let me know when you get them and it they are okaaaaaaaay.   ;D

tina

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 21:47:28 »
 :D
Thanks so much, and yes, I know what the Essex post is like, my Nana lives there!
Will let you know of their safe arrival!
TTFN
Tina

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 09:41:16 »
 :D ;) :D

Thanks EJ. Will keep you posted.

Les

tina

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 18:37:48 »
 :D :D :D
Two babies arrived safe and well, planted up by 9.15 this morning (we were still in our nighties ;D : it is the holidays after all!!!!) My girls are very excited, they love Kiwis.
Thank you so much, will give you a progress report!

Tina
:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 12:41:04 »
Great news Tina, I was worried about the packets being damp and the posties not delivering them.  Good luck with them.  ;D

tina

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2004, 02:02:57 »
 :D :D :D :D

E-J, they have new leaves already!!!!!

I am soooo excited, just need to clear a space in back garden now......as well as doing all the 'lottie stuff........

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2004, 22:32:32 »
Fantastic news Tina.  I am really pleased.  I must get Ava to construct me something to grow my couple up...oooo I love growing things!  Thanks for letting me know.  ;D

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2004, 09:18:40 »
Hi EmmaJane

Got them, had to go away for a couple of days so not had chance to let you know that they got here in tiptop condition...

And they seem to be doing very well.

Thanks

Les and Soph.

:) :D ;D ;D :D :)

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2004, 19:10:56 »
Hey e.j would love some kiwi seedlings, have got some huckleberries seeds spare if you want them but apart from that i don't really haver anything else sorry, i will send my address to by a private message (so i don't get any cranks ha ha ha)  just let me know about those seeds plz.
                              ta very much
                             ;DDannylewis ;DD
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal