Author Topic: Wish me luck...  (Read 2888 times)

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
  • There are those who call me... Pete
Wish me luck...
« on: July 14, 2006, 12:11:46 »
Well, Ladies and Gents, following recently moderate levels of success with sourdough and seemingly with herb wine - I intend on trying my luck at some ale. Not really based on allotment produce I know, but this may be the basis for later work including fruit beers.

Having read fairly widely on the subject over the last few weeks, I'm going to have a try at starting a small batch this weekend. Should be fairly dark but mild, and I expect to have early indications by next weekend - ready to drink within a month.

I'll keep you informed...

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Wish me luck...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 13:52:02 »
 ;D

Would be only too happy to help out...am a fully qualified Quality Control person ;)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 06:20:42 »
not being an ale person meself it's not something i'd go for ........ but my slugs might!

do keep us updated.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 07:02:05 »
Will be happy to drink to your success ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 16:34:33 »
;D

Would be only too happy to help out...am a fully qualified Quality Control person ;)

That was CHOCLIT Katie! You now telling us you're multi-talented?  8)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 16:57:12 »
::)

That was my qualification Lishka!!

;)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 18:04:39 »
Sorry, Troje, to explain the 'in joke'. A while back in Watershed some of us did a Quality Control test...Cadbury's chocolate, both in and out-of-date....Katie was an Enthusiastic and Dedicated Tester....should you want testers for your ale, we're all ready to oblige 8) ;D

Lishka

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 10:21:11 »
Thanks for the explanation Lishka! It's funny you should mention chocolate, though - I am now moderately convinced (by both appearance and smell) that I may be producing something akin to Young's Chocolate Stout....
I should perhaps clarify here: the name is mainly owing to the use of "chocolate malt" which is basically just the normal malt roasted slightly darker - the resulting aroma does have strong similarities with dark chocolate, although I dare say the name may have originated from the colour difference.

For those, like me, who have never been closely involved with brewing beer before (or in case somebody who has says "it's not supposed to do that"), here are my intriguing discoveries about the small scale practicalities.
I added the crushed chocolate malt first, when the water had just stopped boiling and was briefly concerned by the face it both looked and smelled strikingly like coffee  :-\
Then added crystal malt (basic type) and it then smelled just like Ovaltine :)  Now there's something I haven't had since I was a kid - I might have to go and buy a small jar now, just because!
About half an hour later there were distinct overtones of marzipan... hmmm.

Having left overnight for the biochemistry to do it's thing converting starches to sugars, I returned to find no obvious difference, and discover that straining off the liquor is nowhere near as simple as it sounds :( This may require some more thought before I do it again.
As a consolation though, I threw the spent mash (soaked crushed grains) on the compost and within half an hour was treated to a great view of a wood mouse which simply couldn't resist coming out in the daytime for such bounty ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 14:49:50 »
...and where EXACTLY is this compost heap of yours Troje? Katie and I are on our way ;D

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 00:22:57 »
Hey you two,
                    wait for me ;D ;D
There's no show without punch ;D ;D ;D

Surprised I found your hiding place?

I have this puter set up so as soon as Chocy is typed, an alarm goes off ;D
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
Beer update
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 09:53:04 »
The good news is: 'tis now in bottles :)
Primed a couple of bottles with each of castor sugar, dark brown sugar, and sweetened raspberry pulp, respectively.

The bad news is: no longer smellls very chocolatey  :( 
Seems to taste OK - basically a dark mild - rather odd since as yet completely flat, though. The priming sugars should be fermented and the resulting CO2 forced into solution making it fizzy... at least that's the theory ;)

As an afterthought, I crudely measured the specific gravity, with the thought of estimating ABV - unfortunately I didn't bother to check it before fermentation so pretty much impossible. Doh!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 18:52:28 »
Hey you two,
                    wait for me ;D ;D
There's no show without punch ;D ;D ;D

Surprised I found your hiding place?

I have this puter set up so as soon as Chocy is typed, an alarm goes off ;D

Have you guessed that Misty is another Quality Control peeps, Troje? Thing is, she almost certainly does have some bells and whistles contraption set up ;D

Loving the sound of the dark mild --my  guess is that the dark brown sugar one will be your 2006 Classic. Years ago, used to go drinking in little pubs in the Black Country - front rooms of terraced houses with a piano & a serving hatch. Lots of drinking and singing. Mild country. First visit, asked for "a pint, (comma), and a half of mild".....got a pint and a half of mild. These were the days of the steel factories and mild was given to the workmen to keep their strength up. Bad Old Days, eh? :P

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 17:39:18 »
Is it a necessary qualification for an allotment holder to be an alcoholic too?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal