Author Topic: words of warning  (Read 4951 times)

ted72

• Quarter Acre
Re: words of warning
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 22:10:02 »
many thanks for everyones kind words the anti biotics seemed to do the trick with the bite on my arm. :D

Not gonna believe it but didnt I go get bitten twice again on tuesday on my right foot which swelled to twice normal size  :-[, ended up spending last night in hospital having anti biotics fed thru a drip. Really strange because I was still on the previous weeks course of tablets so now have to take another weeks worth.

I think I have some fo that avon stuff upstairs is it the woodland fragrance/ green bottle. Failing that I hobbled to superdrug after being discharged to invest in some repellent.

So yet another weekend of frustration at not being able to do any allotmenting lies ahead ???
never drive faster than angels can fly

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 22:29:29 »
OH not again. I do hope you are soon feeling better. Take care.
Lorna

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 22:37:23 »
Aw thats a shame, hope this is the last of your bites. 

:) :) :)

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 23:20:50 »
ted72....my daughter tells me that it used to be called the woodland fragrance by Avon in a green spray bottle.Hope that solves the product???

Maybe my word of warning should be that my OH was stung by a wasp a few years ago and had an adverse reaction for the first time , and then a couple of years later had an even more dramatic/instant reaction to another wasp sting, which resulted in emergency medical treatment.In this day of mobile phones, perhaps we should be aware of the potential for these unexpected reactions to insect bites/stings whilst on  our allotments , potentially out of hearing/sight of any assistance.
Maybe our adverse reactions are due to the chemical concoctions used on our plants over the past few decades being utilised by the insect population ,but whatever the cause,we should ensure that we always have access to the emergency medical services,especially when working on isolated allotments?
May seem a bit dramatic, but worth a mention!!!!

Happy growing folks!! ;)

fenyak

• Not So New ...
  • brains (on left), brawn (on right)
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2006, 23:27:08 »
Hello all - my first post btw.
Read somewhere that the squaddies in scotland swear by an avon body oil or something to repel the midgies. They buy it wholesale from avon! I'll try and find the name of it.

ted72

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2006, 00:00:27 »
cheers folks. sounds daft but not a very good advertisement for avon fragrances if they are to be used as a repellent eh? Just spoke to my neighbour and she has some that I can have bless her.

welcome fenyak, are you the brains or the brawn ( your quote made me chuckle ha ha)
never drive faster than angels can fly

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2006, 00:05:35 »
Avon 'Skin so soft' ? - we've used it as a fly repellant on horses for years!

If you ride, hollyhocks banish horseflies - recall waving 'em like flags riding on Exmoor....

CLx

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 08:56:17 »
I'd like to come in again, please, on this question of insect repellants. Yes, the SSS woodland fragrance worked for me while I lounged about - but then I started to work, in the already humid conditions of NC, and sweated it off. Zero protection, then. My permanent Deet-drenched Rings of Confidence for me all the time 8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal