Author Topic: Petrol strimmer  (Read 2114 times)

Sprout

• Acre
Petrol strimmer
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:12:28 »
After a year or so with a rechargeable strimmer, I received a 25cc Ryobi petrol strimmer for my birthday and used it for the first time on Saturday. To say that I love it is an understatement. In half an hour, it cleared an area that would've previously taken a month to do with the other one.
So to anyone toying with the idea of getting one, toy no longer. Go and get one and you will not regret it. (last statement cannot be guaranteed, of course)
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
Re: Petrol strimmer
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 12:11:09 »
Hi Sprout, totally agree with you! I bought a reconditioned one earlier this year to use on the currently uncultivated bits of the lottie. Like you say, half an hour usually does the business. The only downside is the hour I then have to spend picking grass and splattered comfrey leaves out of strange places... >:(

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 12:49:16 »
 ;D

Yup! I have one too and I don't know what I would do without it!

;)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 12:57:33 »
I agree! Having started off trimming my lottie grass with shears (which takes HOURS) and then a rechargeable strimmer (within 6 months it wouldn't hold enough charge to cut a paper bag) I finally got a petrol one; cheapo make (McCulloch) but no grumbles apart from once, when I stupidly decided to do the strimming last and I was too tired to pull the starter cord fast enough, flooded the carb  :o and had to try and remember how to fix it when the manual was back home...  ::)

For any serious newbie I would recommend putting one on the Christmas or Birthday list!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
  • There are those who call me... Pete
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 15:11:30 »
Wouldn't be without one!
...except now I am temporarily :(

The nobbard which holds the cable spool and allows more line to be dispensed disappeared into the undergrowth somewhere  just before I finished using it on Saturday. It's not insurmountable as the bolt which it was moulded around is still there, so I should be able to make up another one. It's just YET another thing to do - though on the plus side it will force me to wire up my lathe which I haven't got round to doing yet ;)

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 14:05:46 »
Got one, know it works.  Brother in law permanently borrows it (probably why my plot is so depressingly out-of-control at the mo') and has got it again.  Bl**dy OH keeps lending it to him. Last time he returned it with no fuel and no cable.  Needless to say he got an earful.  I await the next return with cynicism! ;)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 14:26:03 »
Suggest your OH buys him one as a birthday/Christmas combined pressie?

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 14:37:34 »
 ;D

Bennett...get strimmer back asap! Ask brother in law for it back right now or else you will expect him to strim your whole plot in return for semi-permanent loan! May help keep the plot tamed a bit longer!

;)

bennettsleg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 15:34:21 »
it'll be easier to just tell his OH about his borrowing methods - she'll tell him off something rotten! Come christmas I shall be suggesting to the whole family that we all chip in and buy him/them a strimmer for their very own... ;D

Digger_07

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 18:47:48 »
Why not let him keep your old one if you can get everybody to chip in for a new one?

bennettsleg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 18:57:07 »
Why not let him keep your old one if you can get everybody to chip in for a new one?

fair point. knowing our family the sympathies will lie with him as he hasn't got one and we already have.  It's also only 8 months old so is practically brand new anyway. Sometimes the fight is not worth the agony...! :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal