Author Topic: absolutely magic  (Read 2810 times)

wolfieman

• Not So New ...
    • One Tree Hill Allotment Society
absolutely magic
« on: July 11, 2006, 20:32:44 »
Just had a salad of chargrilled courgettes and spring onions with new potatoes, baby carrots and herbs and all from our allotment - absolutely magic!
oh and a huge bunch of wonderful fragrant allotment grown sweetpeas on the table
Sorry, just wanted to share  ;D (I guess this is what its all about!)
Johnnie

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
Re: absolutely magic
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 20:39:43 »
It is! It is!  :) :) :) :) :)

slippy fly

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 20:54:59 »
;D Its a great feeling eating your own produce and one we are experiencing for the 1st time this year  ;D
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool,
he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me
then come out fighting on the other side."
Bill Shankly

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 21:38:16 »
...and i bet whoever clicks on a post like this always smiles ...cos we luvs our own stuff!
i have lost count of how ,amy people say-'ooh!how can you be bothered when veg is so cheap?
i cannot even begin to tell the chumps the difference is about the same as the distance from here to cairo!
they dont know what they are missing!sad fools! ::)
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 21:47:19 »
Oh yes! And the sweet peas on the table, magic touch wolfie ;)

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 22:03:02 »
what a feast - enjoy many more :)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 22:10:42 »
...and i bet whoever clicks on a post like this always smiles ...cos we luvs our own stuff!
i have lost count of how ,amy people say-'ooh!how can you be bothered when veg is so cheap?
i cannot even begin to tell the chumps the difference is about the same as the distance from here to cairo!
they dont know what they are missing!sad fools! ::)
kitty

tonight i'd been picking some carrots and broadies to go with tea, when i come in, i find a pan of FROZEN MIXED VEG served up !!!  i was standing there with my bowl of lovely fresh, nutritious, yummy, chemical free veg in my hands  and i was gobsmacked !!!  what does he think i do out there ?   ::)

i guess he'll take longer to convert than i thought.

:-\

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 22:25:22 »
weell...on the one hand..at least he cooked tea... ;D
on the other hand...he didnt need telling what to do-nor did he sit there starving to death with rumbling tum waiting til you arrived in to get huntergatherers tea..
and on the third hand(we're a funny lot in lincolnshire!)he needs a good ear-tweaking!
so-while you have his lobe firmly between thumb and forefinger march him round to the veg patch and shout in his shell like'this is homegrown you dolt-when you cook tea,ask me if i am bringing any veg in you simpleton

'then-still clutching that manly ear  lobe,twist him round(sharply now,he has to learn!)and march him to the freezer'this(you shout in his shell-like)is for emergencies-when we have run out or freshly picked nutricious homegrown veg!
then release that ear,kick him smartly on the beehind ,and allow him to wash up
there!
thats the way to do it!
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 22:32:36 »
Ooo, Kitty.  Could I rent you please to sort my kids out?   ;D

Wolfie, it just gets better and better!  We had roast chook for tea, and all the veg was home grown, the first runner beans, purple sprouting broc, peas, roast tats and cabbage, and my darling, who isn't really into his greens, gobbled it up, rubbed his tum, and sat with a contented grin on his boat race.  Happy days!

amphibian

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 23:03:10 »
Today we had roasted veg; carrots,spuds, courgettes, shallots, garlic, onion, leek all home grown. Lovely.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 23:19:10 »
Here in Spain we ate out first aubergine! First time growing these and I'm so chuffed with the plants! I choppped some of our plum toms and basil cooked them in our own olive oil put some grilled aubergine on top alonw with some mozerella (the only thing we didn't produce ourself!) with a side dish of roast peppers!! heaven!! I'm bursting with joy!!!!!! Can't get much better!!!!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 06:36:56 »
weell...on the one hand..at least he cooked tea... ;D
on the other hand...he didnt need telling what to do-nor did he sit there starving to death with rumbling tum waiting til you arrived in to get huntergatherers tea..
and on the third hand(we're a funny lot in lincolnshire!)he needs a good ear-tweaking!
so-while you have his lobe firmly between thumb and forefinger march him round to the veg patch and shout in his shell like'this is homegrown you dolt-when you cook tea,ask me if i am bringing any veg in you simpleton

'then-still clutching that manly ear  lobe,twist him round(sharply now,he has to learn!)and march him to the freezer'this(you shout in his shell-like)is for emergencies-when we have run out or freshly picked nutricious homegrown veg!
then release that ear,kick him smartly on the beehind ,and allow him to wash up
there!
thats the way to do it!

oh you do make me laugh !!!  in his defence, when i said "we need to clear the freezer out" (to make way for the glut) that we should clear EVERYTHING.  i may not have given PRECISE instructions, therefore i'll let him live .... for now !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 07:08:10 »
Here in Spain we ate out first aubergine! First time growing these and I'm so chuffed with the plants! I choppped some of our plum toms and basil cooked them in our own olive oil put some grilled aubergine on top alonw with some mozerella (the only thing we didn't produce ourself!) with a side dish of roast peppers!! heaven!! I'm bursting with joy!!!!!! Can't get much better!!!!

Awww biscombe, before I joined the forum I wouldn't have believed the pleasure of hearing other peoples' tales of veg! ;D ;D ;D Nice twist you being in Spain, how the other half live (on aubergines, sigh) ;)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 08:21:33 »
Kitty, you are so right about the smile!

My mum & gran always grew our veg and I've always known it tastes better, but I check every year to make sure.  My veg/salad patch is restricted to BIG tubs in the yard that I graze through when I arrive home for work, just like I used to when I was a kid and had no money for sweets.  Almost none of the crop has made it to the table & with my quantities it's a rare occurrence so I'm jelous of all of you with proper allotments that can produce whole meals regularly.  Mind you, the pots in pots are making the yard more like a jungle - there had better be spuds in there!!!!!.

Well done Wolfie - first of many successful years I hope.  Spread the word brother.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 10:02:42 »
Yeah, well done Wolfie! nothing better than tucking into your own veg!!!! Good time of year eh! all the haard work is worth it!! ;)

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 14:03:51 »
Yup, picked the first magical courgette last night, sure I'll be sick of 'em by the summer end but the first one is sooooooo good!  ;D
This year it's squash.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 14:54:46 »
oh you do make me laugh !!!  in his defence, when i said "we need to clear the freezer out" (to make way for the glut) that we should clear EVERYTHING.  i may not have given PRECISE instructions, therefore i'll let him live .... for now !
 ;D

Kitty always makes me laugh out loud too!

It never ceases to amaze me how some chaps (careful phrasing, that  ;D ;D) need step-by-step precise instructions for anything domestic.

Me, the other day: we're out of hot water.
Sir: immersion needs to go on.
Me: yep.

Two hours later when freezing in shower:
Me: hey, did you put the immersion on?
Sir: You didn't ask me to!

argh!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 19:46:32 »
roflmao ............ and yet when they need to do something, it's perfectly executed.  funny things aren't they ?

;D

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 20:51:21 »
This is our first year, and when we got our overgrown waist-high- with couch- grass plot last July, I wouldn't have believed we would be harvesting now. As I was picking the overwhelming amounts of raspberries this evening, I was thinking that we are producing all the potatoes we eat (and have been since April), all our onions, garlic, lettuce, beetroot, and are running out of space to freeze soft fruit. I am desperate for spare time to jam the blackcurrants & gooseberries. And there's so much more to come.....We absolutely love it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal