Author Topic: Brown mould problem  (Read 1530 times)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Brown mould problem
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:20:15 »
I have a plastic walk in greenhouse in which I am attempting to grow melons, peppers and aubergines in this year.  I try and leave the door open as much as possible so as to encourage some air flow, but it still get's pretty warm in there! 

My problem is that over the weekend I noticed that there was some brown mould starting to grow on the surface of the compost. I assume this is due to me possibly having overwatered (although the plants themselves are thriving) and maybe not sufficient ventilation.  Can anyone tell me if I'm right, and is there anything I should be doing to prevent it, can I get rid of it?

Many thanks

Sweet-pea

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Brown mould problem
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 12:32:40 »
You're right, its a moisture and ventilation problem. made worse by watering from top. Water from bottom if you can. Also, before sowing, you could spray the surface of compost with a copper fungicide, that will help stop it starting. You can just scrape it off now.

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Re: Brown mould problem
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 13:00:08 »
Thanks Jenny, shall remember that for next year.  I'd been watering from the top because I was trying the Ring culture method and the instructions I had were to water from top at the start while they settle in and then only from the bottom. I guess I've just gone a bit over the top with watering!  Shall be watering from the bottom from now on :-)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal