Author Topic: Pollinating Butternut squash  (Read 2429 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Pollinating Butternut squash
« on: July 04, 2006, 22:03:58 »
One of my Butternuts has a good sized female flower which will open tomorrow - unfortunately all the male flowers are still tight closed. Do all squash types, courgettes, pumpkins etc., cross-pollinate. If so - no problem as there are several male courgette flowers which will open tomorrow and I could hand pollinate.

The butternut squash plants have a large number of male buds, but only a few female ones - is it advisable to remove some of them so that the strength of the plant is not wasted? (My first year growing squashes :-\).

Tricia

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Pollinating Butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 22:13:15 »
Yes, squash family will inter-pollinate. The seed inside the female isn't likely to come true if you do, but if you plan to buy seed next year, not a problem.

I don't think the male flowers sap the plant's energy at all, but I sometimes snip them off (after flowering) to be Tidy ;D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 23:12:24 by supersprout »

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 22:18:57 »
Hi
Whenever i try to hand pollinate, i am always unsuccessful, the fruit always falls off several days later.  I use a soft brush and gently brush inside the male flower, then inside the female flower...... what am i doing wrong?...... I am asking because i notice i have a small butternut squash femle flower coming.

Paula
reduce, re-use, recycle.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 22:23:17 »
Well it sounds right paula ??? The only think I can think its that the brush might not be picking up enough pollen.
You could try this method - remove the male flower with stalk, tear off the petals to leave the pollen-ey head showing, then wipe it directly over the sticky receptors in the female flower.
Good luck :)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 22:43:12 »
Blimey, it never said on my seed packet that I'd have to do all this malarky, can't they just get on with it without me being intrusive ???

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 23:11:33 »
LOL Roy, normally the bees do the bizz ;)
I think that's a good reason for leaving the male flowers blossom, so the bees get into the habit of visiting the plant
I can't resist hand-pollinating in the early months :-[ - later in the season I'll leave them to make their own introductions in the privacy of the squash patch ;D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 23:17:07 by supersprout »

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 00:31:01 »
Perhaps, then, an argument for companion planting of foxgloves and squashes? ;D  May try it next year - could save a lot of work...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 07:27:32 »
And it would look lovely too. I'm gonna strew lots of foxglove seed as soon as we get a little rain, for next year and hopefully every year after that.

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 08:25:29 »
Hi all,  :D
               If you want to attract bees, grow borage, they love the flowers, plus they are attractive  ;D plus plus you can put the flowers into a glass of pimms  :o.
 Once you have grown it you never have to sow it again , it self seeds prolificly (lots )

Adriab.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 13:07:53 »
I went out in the drizzle this morning and hand pollinated the squash - don't know if it will take in the wet though.

Planting borage sounds a lovely idea. Anyone have a few seeds to spare please?

Tricia

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 15:30:24 »
Another squash question, I'm growing mine vertically and it has reach 6 foot, do you think it would be alright to pinch out the growing tip?

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 17:11:56 »
I'm growing one vertically too and will have to pinch out when it reaches the top of the frame, which is about 6ft at a guess.

Odd though, although there are several runners there is not one single female to be seen. One of the butternuts in a large pot already has 3 small butternuts. I fertilized the second this morning from a 'Gold Rush' courgette - the only male flower in bloom to fertilize 3 courgettes, a pumpkin and the butternut. Hope they all take ;D

Tricia

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 17:15:08 »
Another squash question, I'm growing mine vertically and it has reach 6 foot, do you think it would be alright to pinch out the growing tip?

Yes, that's what I had to do in the greenhouse - now I have a jungle of sideshoots :-[ ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 18:09:45 »
I shall probably have borage seed later, but it's a bit early yet.

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 19:54:46 »
Oh sounds SO complicated. Do I have to pinch never have done before. Only really got on top of tomato pinching this year with confidence. I am so pleased when they grow. Have put in lots of squashes this year.
Marigold

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 20:19:20 »
I don't believe you HAVE to pinch squash at all maggie, it's just an option for trained-upwards ones :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal