Author Topic: Ripe Pumpkins  (Read 1214 times)

silly billy

• Acre
Ripe Pumpkins
« on: September 17, 2007, 17:18:35 »
I have a couple of decent sized Jack O Lantern pumpkins that are now orange. Trouble is I have grown them for my children for halloween but am now worried they will rot before then. Anyone got any advice how to keep them until halloween? At the moment they are still on the plant and I am unsure whether to remove them and store them in my shed or leave them on the plant?
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Ripe Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 19:37:47 »
Mine have still a way to go yet. ( Jack O Lantern and Ghost Rider ).   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 06:44:25 »
Hi Kev

I’ve only got one pumpkin for Halloween and it’s just turning orange. My plant is now dying off but I read that once ready they will keep for up to 3 months so I would take them off and store them somewhere frost free.

I’m sure some else will either back up my advice or correct it if necessary.

Here in Preston I had ice on my car windscreen this morning so I think I’ll have to pick mine soon.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 12:32:34 »
You need to make sure the skins cure so remove any leaves that may stop sunlight getting to the pumpkin. Then as long as there is no frost you can leave until the vine dies back. When you cut the pumpkin - cut enough stalk to make a "handle" as they keep better this way.

You need to store them in a frost free area, I keep mine in a spare unheated bedroom.

My pumpkins and winter squash last year kept well through last winter and I ate my last one (Crown Prince) in March this year.

Hope this helps  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 20:32:53 »
Ice, whats that.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal