Author Topic: Lemongrass  (Read 859 times)

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
Lemongrass
« on: July 12, 2006, 11:33:16 »
I have raised some lemongrass from seed and transplanted about 2 months ago, although they are growing, it is very slowly. I have a couple of questions to anyone who has any knowledge of lemongrass.

1.  Do the 'crowns' need to be under soil level or just on top ~ similar to gladioli type?

2.  What can i feed lemongrass with?

Thanks
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Lemongrass
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 16:11:24 »
I grew my lemon grass a diferent way.  I bought a packet of 'stalks' from a supermarket.  Stuck them in a jar of water, changing the water regularly.  When they had got a good root system, I potted them up.

1. I've found they seem to like to just sit of the top of the compost.

2. I've never bothered to feed them, they can get quite large, but I would imagine a high nitrogen feed would be best.

I must say I think you've done really well to get your plants from seed.  I tried that way and got nothing from two packets.

I only found the above method by accident.  It was advice in a cookbook to keep lemongrass fresh, putting it in water like flowers!!

valmarg

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
Re: Lemongrass
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 09:13:50 »
I think plenty of water in summer is more important than feeding - you can get pretty big plants pretty quickly just by keeping them well watered. I lost the two plants I tried to over-winter in the greenhouse this year, although they managed Ok in previous years, so started again in the way valmarg describes - much quicker than from seed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal