Author Topic: Harvesting spring planted garlic  (Read 1983 times)

vaca

• Half Acre
Harvesting spring planted garlic
« on: July 04, 2006, 11:23:09 »
Hello,

I've pulled all my autumn planted garlic - quite dissappointing really, massive stalks and teeny bulbs. I also planted some more garlic last March and they look like they've been doing ok. I pulled one last night and was a decent sized bulb, not massive, but a little larger than the autumn planted garlic.

When should I be harvesting the spring planted garlic - around now? or later in the summer? the leaves are still a healthy green...

on another point, a couple of my spring planted garlic have developed a second garlic bulb about 3 inches above the ground (inside the stalk)!! what's going on  ??? ??? is this normal?

Thanks again,
Vaca

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: Harvesting spring planted garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 11:25:12 »
I read once that you harvest a sowing of garlic when 10% of the stalks have fallen over (if softneck) or when they change colour (hardneck).  If you think they're ripe, try and get them up and drying ASAP as rain will make the outer layers rot and that stops them storing as long.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 12:49:18 »
My cloves are not massive either, I am hoping that this is offset by them being stronger than normal. They are drying in the sun right now ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 13:41:35 »
Mine don't seem to have "cloved" - just one big (ish) bulb.

Alison

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 13:58:52 »
Our's are the same - not cloved at all.

Stalks and leaves are just starting to go yellow but we'll see what effect the recent rain has on them.
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 19:58:02 »
As you can see from the attached picture my garlic has performed quite well this year.

I have to say I planted mine out in October, if I waited till spring I would probably be too late.

That is my ground is not generally workable until late April at best.

What I will do now (as I always do) I will select the 4 or 5 biggest bulbs and save them for planting out in October.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 21:34:36 »
This is my first year and I planted my garlic at Christmas time - what are the advantages of planting it earlier - is it just that it is ready earlier (and has a better chance of 'cloving') ?  Also, for next time, can I plant it into manured ground ?

My soil was quite workable through the winter / spring and my site slops slightly, so has good drainage.

Tee Gee your garlic looks very impressive - what was its variety ?  Mine was from Tescos, which I know is not the best option but I couldn't find any in the garden centres that late into the season .  I also have some from my lottie neighbour, which definitely looks stronger / bigger.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 21:43:15 »
All the old boys on my plot said plant garlic in October/November - so that's what I did, with good results, last year. Some commercial growers mulch heavily with leaves - so that's what I'll do this year too.

The suggestion on another thread was that garlic needs the cold to 'fracture' the bulb into bulblets, so that would be the advantage of overwintering I guess. Plus, the soil is workable in autumn.

Lovely purple skins TeeGee - what variety?
Having read your post I ran to my garlic plat and hoiked out the biggest ones for replanting! ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 22:06:03 »
it does need cold, and if you plant it earlier it should hopefully crop more heavily as it has more time to grow.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 16:34:55 »
Quote;what was its variety

Haven't a clue!

As I recall it was a supermarket special many years ago, why pay around £1-50 for two when you can get two for around 50p in the supermarket, or at least I did when I bought them.

True the first year might be a bit of a mixed bunch but after I have made my planting / eating selection each year I generally get a crop like this from around 4 or 5 bulbs.

Just ensure there is no sign of disease when you plant them out and you should be OK

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 12:35:09 »
What a show!!

Cold? We've had one of the longest cold spells this spring, & it has not helped either my autumn or spring planted sets.

But, at least, we have some garlic - free of rot.

vaca

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 14:26:38 »
Cold? We've had one of the longest cold spells this spring, & it has not helped either my autumn or spring planted sets.

But, at least, we have some garlic - free of rot.

Tim, when did you plant your spring garlic, and when did you harvest it?

Anyone had a second garlic bulb growing inside the stem some 3 inches above the ground? I've had this on a couple of my plants  ???

Vaca

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal