Author Topic: Hi Everybody!  (Read 2497 times)

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
  • There are those who call me... Pete
Hi Everybody!
« on: July 04, 2006, 10:22:11 »
Sort of news: I have just joined this forum.
So thought I'd sort of say "Hi"...

Actually stumbled across this yesterday while investigating recipes for home brewing (looking for things that included liquorice); didn't find any of those, but did have a quick look around this forum since I'm also an allotmenter.

In my secret double life, I'm a "mature" PhD student at Sheffield Uni, working on a composites project in Engineering Materials. Also a musician (well I try), cook, carpenter, plumber, keeper of old Landrover, and will be "Dad" in November (scary, but in a good way! ;)).

Talk to you all soon.
laters
Pete

PS: Many apologies if this sort of post is considered spamming the list.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: Hi Everybody!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 10:26:43 »
Hi Pete,

Welcome, no apologies needed, very easy going on this forum.

Mike

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 10:38:13 »
Hello and welcome!  :)
I love old landies, my brother restores them as a hobby, he's going to do up a series 2 for me, can't wait.

Baz and I both have a background in materials science, I did my PhD at York in polymers (where I met Baz) and he did his at Brunel in composites. We both now work in computers though.

Make the most of the peace and quiet before November, things will never be the same again!  :D
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 11:03:23 »
Welcome   I'm newish myself but this is a great site enjoy

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 17:58:54 »
Hey Pete, where's your lottie ?  I'm in Sheffield too - my lottie is at Meersbrook.

mc

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 19:44:04 »
Hi Pete. Welcome to A4A. Good crowd on here, one or two are a bit crazy but who cares. Seriously I have made many friends during the past year and have received so much help. (I am a 71year old novice  ;D) No allotment just my garden which keeps me busy.
Lorna

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 20:22:49 »
Welcome to the forum rabbit, glad you decided to stay and join the fun :D
Ooh, sounds like you might be a plottie gadget maker, it's compulsory to post pictures of your plot plus any home made gadgets you invent 
;D ;D ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 21:46:03 »
Crazy Lorna...who do you mean!?  ;)

Welcome trojan....I have no idea what composites project in Engineering Materials means, but I am A4alls resident dumb blonde, so I am sure you will forgive me!  ;D

So tell us about your allotment!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 21:58:39 »
Emma. I don't think they are watching but when I typed that one or two names  just floated through my mind ;DAlishka and Mrs KP for starters? ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 22:39:12 »
OMG, Pete....you've met our Lorna! Nice Lady,  but sometimes she forgets to take her pills......nurse! Mrs. L's at it again... ;)

Hello Pete and welcome!

Now, tell us how/why you've a surplus of liquorice, please?

Enquiring minds need to know 8)

Lishka

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 23:19:18 »
Hi Pete. Welcome to A4A. Good crowd on here, one or two are a bit crazy but who cares. Seriously I have made many friends during the past year and have received so much help. (I am a 71year old novice  ;D) No allotment just my garden which keeps me busy.
Lorna

Name and shame Lorna !!!! (oh I see "she" has already posted on the thread and who's that other one you've mentioned ??) :o  :P  ;D

Welcome Pete, this is a wonderful board full of interesting and useful information and weird and wacky people.

Had many a fine hour browsing through the forums when I should have been doing something far more productive.

Learn to "refresh page" whilst changing nappies AND potting up and life will be a doddle come November !

;D

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 23:21:46 by MrsKP »
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 00:02:59 »
Hello and welcome Pete.

Congratulations on almost being a dad, if you lived closer we'd happily lend you a couple of kids (well 5 to be precise) for practice purposes lol  ;D

Hope you enjoy the site and keep posting.
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 00:04:19 »
LOL@the new avatar money_bunny ;D

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 13:27:14 »
Thanks, folks.
Nice to meet you.

Personally I don't much care for ordinary/boring/sane people, so that's fine!
Besides, the scientific definition of normal is "at right angles to the plane" (or in this case "plain" perhaps) so I'm sure on that basis most of you are as "normal" as I am.  ;D

My plot is in Rivelin Valley, mc55. I think I convinced my profile to actually point to the exact plot, but I could be wrong... Anyway, I'll do a new thread to tell y'all a bit about it.

'Lishka - I wish I did have some liquorice! I do REALLY like it though (read as: "addicted to"), as are several friends. Interestingly I did find a very informative page on it's historic use, preparation, and cultivation - it looks like I have the location and soil to try growing some.

Pete

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 13:59:56 »
Another friendly hello Pete!  Welcome to this fine board - lovely people on here!  Interesting to hear all about you and looking forward to hearing more about your plot.   :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 16:51:15 »
Intrigued about liquorice growing? This is how it was done in Pontefract (home of the Cakes!)......look at those roots!!

http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/CultureAndLeisure/HistoricWakefield/Highlights/PontefractCakes/liquorice.htm

modified to add Essential Trivia - did you know that Fart Powder is made from liquorice + glucose?  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 17:00:17 by Alishka_Maxwell »

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 10:06:20 »
Be afraid, be very afraid! 
4 foot deep roots - I think it could take over my entire plot...

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 10:23:07 »
I think I'm going a bit senile, minds wandering ???
Does anyone remember growing ginger in glass
jars to make ginger beer  ::)
Didn't have much to do in my childhood but watch
ginger plants grow.....sad en I  :D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 10:57:50 »
 ;D

Hi Pete, never mind the Engineering stuff and Liquorice...what about the Landy's? Have the hots for an old Defender, but no idea how much to pay, what to look for etc?

Welcome anyway, hope you pick up tips and hand them out too, very friendly bunch on here!

;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal