Author Topic: rain, rain, rain & thunderstorms !!!! hurray !!!!!  (Read 13820 times)

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
Re: rain, rain, rain & thunderstorms !!!! hurray !!!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 09:23:57 »
It rained yesterday for all of 2 minutes, I think even the rain wishes it hadn't bothered LOL
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2006, 10:32:27 »
 ;D

We had the biggest ever thunderstorm here in Oldham yesterday! It started about 5.30pm and went on for at least an hour, rain continued for longer. Was terrified that my newly planted out French Beans would come to grief, but been up this morning and everything is looking great! I have my first courgette and I swear the peas have puffed up overnight, if veg plants could smile...

;)

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2006, 10:40:01 »
Nothing here, no rain, no thunderstorms, zilch. Red hot out in the garden already this morning so I can only imagine what the temperature is already up to in the polytunnel!!

The weather has been good for growing veg lately but the horses are already sick of the heat and spending half of their time wandering in and out of the stables to cool down, poor Bill the goat looks permanently shattered but still refuses to have his shaggy coat tidied up.

Time to get the clippers out again for the dogs too so they don't overheat.
British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2006, 10:47:54 »
Sooooo frustrating....tried to answer Roy's question twice...done long messages and after pressing send......they seem to have disappeared.... >:(

:o             ???               :-[                         :'(                   >:(

does this ever happen to anyone else??

maybe they're in cyber space somewhere and will turn up  :-\

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2006, 10:49:12 »
well - that seemed to go ok!......a mystery :o

will try and answer you later Roy....gotta go!

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 11:08:23 »
In Norfolk for a couple of weeks...  the lettuces are shrivelling in the garden; spring onions flopped to the ground; rhubarb is not happy; gooseberries are coping well; strawberries are listing to leeward, and the tumbler tomatoes in the hanging baskets need twice daily watering or they crumple. The beetroot in the nearby field has its leaves flat to the floor.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2006, 11:16:18 »
Half a mm last night.

But come THURSDAY - in the Cotswolds - cooool & significant precipation!!

You believe that??

PLEASE - have the last brassica to go out!!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2006, 11:58:47 »
Not even half a mm here in the Midlands ... lots of flashing and banging, so expected the torrents imminently, but they didn't appear. Metcheck forecasts a few mm for Tuesday night. Will wait and see ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2006, 12:10:46 »
Last night, in Brum, I was sitting in my garden with some friends who'd brought round a few cans (to add to the bottles I'd provided which were already opened). And it started to rain! Big fat warm splodges! Never seen such a rushing to cover the beer bottles in my life. (well, it's watered down enough already..) And then the rain stopped and we settled back to gentle guzzling - excitement over.

Today I really need to go to A&E - 2nd time this gardening season -  but it's a bit late now.Blazing sun and no sign of it breaking. Nurse friend tells me to go early tomorrow morning, before the heart attack victims start arriving.

Hard-boiled but practical lot, nurses.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2006, 12:22:12 »
Forgot to set the Air Con to come on in the office before i got in, it was 36.5 deg C ! when i got in. Cooled down a bit now - but all the desks feel like hot plates and the radiator is hotter than it would be if it was actually switched on!

Things are looking bit sad now on the allotment - main crop spuds have started to wilt and turn yellow already, broad beans all wilting pods all bendy and leathery, strawberries now mostly dead (but i was getting a bick sick of eating them). Brassica's looking very sad and droopy...

I hope it rains today..
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2006, 13:07:59 »
We had one humdinger of an evening in South Cheshire - torrential rain for a long time but still hot & sticky so the paving dried really quickly, and then it rolled back over again & we had even more monsoon type water falling.

The guttering couldn't handle it nor could the drains.   That was great fun until there was a lightening strike waaaaaaay too close to us.  I rushed to the window fully expecting to see a hole in next doors metal garage - thankfully, I was being over dramatic, but the after silence was weird.

After a bit it settled down to steady rain so I could get out and water the hanging baskets under the porch roof for my neighbour. 
 ???
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2006, 14:34:20 »
Last night, in Brum, I was sitting in my garden with some friends who'd brought round a few cans (to add to the bottles I'd provided which were already opened). And it started to rain! Big fat warm splodges! Never seen such a rushing to cover the beer bottles in my life. (well, it's watered down enough already..) And then the rain stopped and we settled back to gentle guzzling - excitement over.

Today I really need to go to A&E - 2nd time this gardening season -  but it's a bit late now.Blazing sun and no sign of it breaking. Nurse friend tells me to go early tomorrow morning, before the heart attack victims start arriving.

Hard-boiled but practical lot, nurses.

Same here; I was down on the plot, looking at the clouds building up, when there were a few big hefty splashes. Then it stopped. Talk about a let-down!

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2006, 15:22:39 »
Atleast you got the splashes..... we had all the promise of a huge storm, huge dark clouds, but it just floated over and went and watered someone elses allotment >:(

I WANT RAIN I WANT RAIN
Tim, you say Thursday for the cotswolds..... well i'm in Swindon hopefully it's close enough, if it does i'm going to do a dance up the lottie .  (note i did NOT say a naked dance ;D  )

P
reduce, re-use, recycle.

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2006, 16:17:32 »
Still no rain in sunny Somerset!!! 75degrees at 7am today.the temperature as we speak, is 105 in our garden. Too hot for me.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2006, 20:04:01 »
Oh dear,   and I am jealous of all you folks darn saff with the lovely heat.  I am sitting here with my cardy on feeling a bit cold.  It is dull and misty out there and has been most of the day.  I WANT SOME OF YOUR HEAT, please.  I will send down some North Sea Haar..... and rain.....

:( :( :( :( :(

Tues 2 p.m.

The Sun is out!!!!!  its quite warm  around 19c  so thats an improvement.  Its been foggy all morning.   Hope its a bit cooler in the south.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 13:52:14 by Carol »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2006, 18:39:28 »
well, another hot and sweaty day in Essex.  It became very overcast whilst I was on the school run and I was terribly excited....3 drops later, and that was it, sky was blue again!  Big storms are forecast, but I reakon they have missed us!  Been raining in London where my darling (birthday boy tomorrow!) has been working.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 19:08:55 »
Finally we have had a few drops here in the Midlands, not enough to do more than wet your shirt though. Here's hoping it continues ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2006, 19:59:21 »
Yep  Amanda we do need some rain in Cambridgeshiire. I really love the sun can usually cope with the hottest of days but must admit last couple of days it was a tad too hot to be in the garden all day. Would you believe I had to stay indoors even caught up with my ironing!! Today is a little cooler but still no rain.
Lorna

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2006, 20:31:34 »
Just down the road from lorna, about 6pm dark damp clouds rolled over (great excitement). Sprint to plot to harvest onions before the rain. All hoiked up quickly and lobbed into greenhouse, clouds headed West and the sun came out again ::) :-\

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2006, 20:46:56 »
I can report that a raindrop fell somewhere in Lincoln ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal