Author Topic: Siskens  (Read 2570 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Siskens
« on: March 24, 2004, 22:33:57 »
Had quite a day with the bins. watching the birds.  I spotted little birds up in the silver beech trees and sure enough, the pair of birds which landed  on the nuts were the Siskens.  I know they usually turn up in my garden every year around this date.  They are neat little birds and tend to eat hanging upside down.

So I have had all my winter visitors now.  Roll on april when I welcome the arrival of the Swallows.  My eyes will start looking for them from the first week in April but it is usually around the 28th april when I see them in the village.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re:Siskens
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 23:12:53 »
Carol, Saw swallows today at my allotment in Whitley Bay.  They were such a lovely sight.  I love the way they swoop and the chattering noise they make, they always look as though they are having such a nice time.  ;D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 23:47:04 »
That is early BL.  I looked up the BTO site for any reports of the arrival of the Swallows and there has been one sighting so far in Northumberland.  So I would say you have been lucky in seeing the swallows so early and if you are a member of the BTO please let them know.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 08:19:38 »
Siskins are around all year long, but prefering pine woods they're not a bird we can all enjoy seeing. If you want to help them consider what they make their April/May nests from; wool, moss, lichen covered twigs, plant fibre, grass, hair and thistledown.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 18:55:42 »
We have had loads of Siskins visiting our garden for a number of weeks now.  We have alot of conifers on our property so do you think they would be nesting in them Ken?
Happy gardening all...........Pat

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 20:37:57 »
They love pine and if they're in your area and can find the stuff to make nests, why not? One give a-way to nesting is to watch the male bird fly really high, almost straight up and followed by the female. To a sisken that's heavy courtship.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal