Author Topic: Alternatives  (Read 2061 times)

Tall Trees

• Not So New ...
Alternatives
« on: March 24, 2004, 13:05:20 »
So as you all may know from an earlier post i am new to my allotment.

Having read the current issue of the permaculture magazine and in particular the permaculture allotment story, i have been inspired to move slightly away from the normal allotment ideals

So far i have left a patch for wild flowers, a log pile/store for wood, wood chippings paths are being laid, compost bins for extra nice chippings are being built, a bath is being aquired for a pond to encourage frogs in to eat any slugs.  My wife and i have built a living willow iglo/bower and planted a small copice to supply future willow for making new structures and fedges.  The veg and herb beds to make the best use of the space and to add interest are to be various shapes but mainly triangles and semicircles.

It would be great to hear if any one else has anything on their plot that is a bit unusual or does anything that is not the norm.

Neil.

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
Re:Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 13:19:42 »
Hi Tall Trees

We have constructed a decked patio area in our lottie.  We used 12 Baltic pine sleepers 3mx0.25mx0.1.  Which gives us a nice 3m x 3m decked area on this we have added two bench seats which again are a couple of sleepers sat upon some big logs.

As our lottie is next door to our house it doubles as a lottiegarden.

Will soon have some pics posted on the site for you all to see.

Les
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 13:48:47 »
i'd love to see some pictures tall trees if you have any. that sounds great, is permaculture magazine good? i've been interested in getting it...

Andi

• Quarter Acre
  • WBC...gizzaplot...pleease
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 14:22:27 »
Blimey TT its funny you should say that as I was having the same thoughts myself last night while dreaming of my future lottie.

I was thinking semi circles and triangles...and rhombuses!!

I was thinking small plots ...as I have to dig them!

And I have a packet of wild flower seed waiting to go in...was going to plant them about the place to get bees and butterflys in to help with pollination of my veg...

And then imagining what it would look like on a hazy summer day with a chilled bottle of 'home brew' wine and a veggie barbie

<sigh>

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 14:46:21 »
We have the bath ready just not sure where to place it yet for best effect.  It has a resident frog already. but tell me if you can should i change the water in it as it seems to have a 3" layer of sludge in the bottom.

We have also salvaged lots of branches and logs and rubble to create a rockery/wildflower area.  

Our lottie is a bit on the large side so some of it is going to stay grassed as it has a good covering already..we are going to spread some new grass seed on it to thicken it up and sprinkle wildflower seeds amongs it to give a spot of colour spread through it.
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 15:05:40 »
I was trying to clear an area for re-siting my small pond this afternoon but had to stop due to hail :( Mine is a pre-formed one that someone was going to throw out! :o I am leaving a whole load of brambles and stinging nettles for the wildlife, (and to preserve my back!) My paths are straw, which I put back into the plot when it needs replacing, (careful if you do this as it can change the pH)And I a grow poached egg plant, nasturtiums etc for the insects. The rest of the plot holders think I am bonkers because I do not have one huge muddy square patch! But it works for me  ;D  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 15:05:59 »
Tall Trees, go into Ponds and do an ISO Margaret for help with bath/pond.  Is our guru for ponds here!  :D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 15:07:16 by Muddy_Boots »
Muddy Boots

Tall Trees

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 16:40:36 »
Its nice to see that people like to experiment.

Pictures of the plot/living willow structure should be available when i can borrow a camera (but be warned it is very new and i share plot with a friend who does his own thing down one side).

Legless - The permaculture magazine is great for people wanting to try and learn info about reducing their environmental impact.  Some may find the articles a little too way out.  However this seasons articles on building a composting toilet and solar panel heat exchange system are brilliant and if Kenkew sees them will be well away.

Neil.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 16:44:36 by Tall Trees »

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 17:25:27 »
excellent! i will probably take a look at it then, thanks.

we have the bath in place and i am also trying to grow as much for the wildlife as possible. no decision on paths yet (just bare soil at the mo. and we are trying to decide whether to grow the butterfly, bee or bat wildflower collections!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 14:28:48 »
I have a series of 5yds (half plot width) x 1yd beds.

One is flowers (wild and annual)  - brings in the wild life

There is also a rough area at one end when is a bramble and comfrey patch and the other is the perimeter hedge with nettles aplenty

Neighbours (even old ones) grow buddleia and other shrubs

jethro

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 21:12:50 »
Building a new wind turbine for the new lottie to heat the greenhouses, a patio to sit and watch the weeds grow  ;D  and i'm thinking of a pagola just for the fun of it ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal