Author Topic: pollination in greenhouse  (Read 1586 times)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
pollination in greenhouse
« on: June 29, 2006, 11:02:07 »
Hi

I'm trying to grow peppers, chilli, aubergine and melons in a greenhouse for the first time and I was wondering whether I will need to assist with pollination to get fruit or are they ok left to their own devices.

Many thanks

graham

• Quarter Acre
    • Blipfoto
Re: pollination in greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 14:27:20 »
Hi
I tend to hand pollinate everything even tomatoes. I just go round with a paint brush dosn't take too long.  The only exception I make is with cumcumbers - just making sure I remove all the male flowers. maybe I'm being a bit finicky but it works for me.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 15:33:35 »
I was thinking about this today (after reading posts on here yesterday) and it occurred to me that I have never, ever hand pollinated ANYTHING - in the greenhouse or out.

Not through any 'choice' about gardening techniques, I just never even knew/thought that I had to do it.

What sort of difference does it makes to crops do you think? I've never had a 'failure' with tomatoes OR cucumbers. My carrots are rubbish but I thought that was to do with soil conditions?

Trixie ... wondering about the s*x life of her vegetables and worrying about it more then her OWN s*x life  ;D XXX
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 16:37:55 »
Means nothing, but I have never hand-pollinated anything. But I occasionally remember to shake the canes as I walk along.

This may be of use - hope Colin Simpson won't mind me printing it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal